Trados Studio 2011: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in Powerpoint
Thread poster: bendksu
bendksu
bendksu  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:23
Member (2011)
Danish to English
+ ...
Mar 21, 2013

Hello,
I am trying to load a Powerpoint presentation into Trados Studio 2011, but I receive this error. Does anyone know what this means?

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Thanks.

Mirjam Spekking
Mirjam Spekking  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:23
English to Dutch
+ ...
The same error, but then when trying to save a word target file as Mar 22, 2013

Hello,

As the header says, I get the same error when I click save target file as, and then try to save a translated docx.file as (for instance) _NL.docx.

I suspect it must have something to do with a Windows update, since it happened after my machine installed an update for Windows.

I first tried the solution given somewhere else on this forum:

" So delete 3 XML files by going to the following path:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Se
... See more
Hello,

As the header says, I get the same error when I click save target file as, and then try to save a translated docx.file as (for instance) _NL.docx.

I suspect it must have something to do with a Windows update, since it happened after my machine installed an update for Windows.

I first tried the solution given somewhere else on this forum:

" So delete 3 XML files by going to the following path:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]

Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]

and delete the following three XML files:

- BaseSettings.xml
- plugincache.xml
- UserSettings.xml "

see explanation given here http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229508-sdl_trados_studio_2011_sp2_object_reference_not_set_to_an_instance_of_an_object.htm

but it did not work. The three files were not there. Then I tried to restore the system to an earlier state, which did not work either.

So now I think I am going to reinstall...

I will let you know if that works.

Mirjam
Collapse

Anna Carter
Anna Carter
United States
Local time: 20:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Delting xml files worked Jul 1, 2013

This solutions (Deleting the 3 xml files), so far, has worked well for me using Studio 2011 on Parallels/Windows 8. I had to search for the files but once found and deleted, the error message quit appearing.
Anna Gallant Carter
Gallant Language Consulting

Ana Merchan
Ana Merchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I can't find those files Jul 10, 2013

I have been trying to solve the same error message for hours and unfortunately the solution offered here does not work for me, I can't find the mentioned .xml files. No trace of them in my computer (Windows 7 pro, Trados Studio 2011).

Any ideas?

Bruce Campbell
Bruce Campbell
German to English
Changing Normal style in file worked Mar 18, 2014

For what it's worth, I tried the solutions above and did a repair of Studio without success.

I was trying to use Studio 2014 to translate 4 files pre-translated by a client in the old WorkBench format. Studio 2014 accepted 3 of the 4 without problems, but file number 4 gave me the "Object reference not set ..." error message.

I have had success with other strange error messages by changing some of the formatting in a file -- even though one would not think that this wou
... See more
For what it's worth, I tried the solutions above and did a repair of Studio without success.

I was trying to use Studio 2014 to translate 4 files pre-translated by a client in the old WorkBench format. Studio 2014 accepted 3 of the 4 without problems, but file number 4 gave me the "Object reference not set ..." error message.

I have had success with other strange error messages by changing some of the formatting in a file -- even though one would not think that this would work, in desperation you try everything.

In this case, I noticed that everything in the file was in 12pt Arial except for the final paragraph symbol, which was in Times Roman. I then checked the Normal style and noticed that it used Times Roman. I selected a bit of the Arial text and updated the Normal style to match the font that was used throughout the file anyway.

Voila, "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message no longer there.

Why it worked? I have no idea. Another blind and desperate attempt meets with success...

Bruce
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in Powerpoint

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »