Pipe delimited text?
Thread poster: Gannush

Gannush  Identity Verified

Local time: 16:52
English to Turkish
+ ...
Mar 21, 2013

Hello,

I am translating large projects that come in an Excel sheet. The problem is that I cannot use the Trados. Because unfortunately the text to be translated is pipe-delimited. Each sentence is separated not by a space, but by a pipe (this sign "|"). Hence when I drag and drop the file onto the TagEditor, the TagEditor treats the Excel cell as one complete sentence. I wonder if there is anyway to make the Trados to treat each sentence separately. See below for an example of the text I'm translating:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit|Nunc massa tellus, volutpat et tristique vitae, interdum quis massa|Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit|Quisque lacinia lectus non augue pretium et auctor eros lobortis|In ornare feugiat interdum. Ut nisi neque, mollis at facilisis at, molestie quis erat|Lorem quis egos cerates.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Agris Koppel  Identity Verified
English to Estonian
+ ...
Excel functions or replace Mar 21, 2013

Hi!

Just replace | with period and translate. O ruse excel functions to trim sentences at the mark"|" or period. I think it could be solution. And in target text you can replace them back in the same way.

With best regards,
Agris

Gannush  Identity Verified

English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but... Mar 21, 2013

No, unfortunately it is not the solution. The Trados treats cell contents as monoblocks, rather than treating each sentence individually.

Thanks for assisting.

[Edited at 2013-03-21 22:08 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
English
If you do have Studio... Mar 21, 2013

.... rather than only 2007 then you could use the text filetype and just specify the pipe symbol as the delimiter.

Regards

Paul

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:52
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
It should be Mar 21, 2013

replaced with fullstop and space, not just fullstop.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pipe delimited text?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search