Is Trados Studio 2011 compatible with Word 2003 ?
Thread poster: Marie Hélène AFONSO

Marie Hélène AFONSO  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:30
English to French
+ ...
Mar 22, 2013

thanks in advance for your reply !
I know it is compatible with word 2007 and above but I have a doubt for the 2003 version.

Fabio Gutiérrez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Yes it is! Mar 22, 2013

Bonjour Marie Hélène,

Studio 2011 indeed supports Office 2003 (e.g. not only MS-Word, but also Excel, PowerPoint) files. From my own user experience I can confirm that the program works seamlessly with them.

According to the program's list of filters, it even supports Office 2000 files, yet I lack practical experience with handling these older formats.

Hope it helps.

Fabio

Marie Hélène AFONSO  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Fabio! Mar 22, 2013

me agrada saberlo, muchas gracias por tu respuestaicon_smile.gif

Fabio Gutiérrez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Trial version Mar 22, 2013

Marie Hélène,

There is a downloadable trial version that might help you evaluate the program capabilities before deciding a purchase:

http://www.sdl.com/campaign/lt/sdl-trados-studio-30day-free-trial.html

Cordialement,
Fabio

IanDhu  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Problems with "hybrid" files Mar 22, 2013

I have found problems with files purporting to be *.DOC files, and in some cases also, *.DOCX files, that fail to process in the Studio wizard. These may have been variously handled in combinations of Word 2003 with Word 2007 and above.

My first line of approach is to trade up "rogue" DOC files by saving them as DOCX files.

In the case of misbehaving DOCX files, I find converting to RTF format has ironed out the problems. One caveat is that this is a bulky format, with all the binary formatting information converted into text-like codes, but it saved my bacon in a recent large assignment which would otherwise have ground to a halt.

The foregoing remarks about Word can be transposed mutatis mutandis to deal with erratic Excel and PowerPoint files which, along with deviant TTX files that won't yield their target format, can be converted to Workbench RTF, with coded information between angle brackets, and differently-coloured from the textual parts.

I hope this doesn't confuse the issue, but may help.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren
(IanDhu - 41189)

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
I use SDL Trados Studio 2011 with Office 2003 Mar 27, 2013

I have a setup with SDL Trados Studio 2011 and Office 2003. It was only once that I had a .doc file that could not be processed without errors, but converting it to RTF fixed the problem. Otherwise, no problems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Trados Studio 2011 compatible with Word 2003 ?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search