Alexandros Mouratidis  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:27
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Mar 22, 2013

Hello,

I've seen many similar topics here and after having tried every proposed solution I thought I would ask again to see it there are any new ideas.

I am trying to use a couple of termbases I created with Multiterm. I tried using both, each one separately or any other termbase available on my PC, but none work.

More specifically, term search works from inside Studio. Term Base Viewer shows the termbases just fine, however term recognition refuses to work. I have added all the file types as exclusions in my security suite (Kaspersky). I have also disabled the protection altogether, but still term recognition does not work. I tried resetting the window layout, I have updated Java to the latest version, I have used both custom and Low security settings for Java, still nothing.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Greece
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more detail Mar 22, 2013

If I try to add an existing term to the termbase, Studio warns me that the term already exists (although it will not show in Term Recognition) and asks if I want to edit it!

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:27
English to French
+ ...
Ctrl+F2 Mar 22, 2013

What happens when you select a source and target term and hit Crtl+F2 (preferably a term not in your termbase but recurrent), can you add it and is it found in other segments?

Greece
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same thing Mar 23, 2013

Term is inserted in the termbase, however term recognition will still not work if I go back to that segment .

bungholio
German to English
You've probably checked this, but just in case Mar 23, 2013

I had this problem once and this reply on proZ helped me out. Posting here in case you haven't tried it yet:

1. Go to talisma.sdl.com
2. Search for LaunchStudio.bat
3. Download the ZIP file and unizp LaunchStudio.bat
4. Run Studio by double-clicking the LaunchStudio.bat file.

Important note: if you are running Studio under Windows Vista or Windows 7, run LaunchStudio.bat as Administrator.

I looked in the batch file and it points to a the directory "MultiTerm8" and with 2011, maybe this should be changed to "MultiTerm9" (at least I have this folder now). I believe I ran this batch file back when we were using 2009.

Anyway, something to check into maybe.

Greece
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Isn't this for Studio 2009 Mar 25, 2013

I am sure this is for Studio 2009 only, not 2011.

I have also been trying all weekend to make this work. Is it is simply broken? Is it actually working for anybody?

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TB English-Greek Mar 25, 2013

Hi Alexandros,

I've just downloaded the English-Greek TB (MS) from OpenExchange and added it to my TBs with English-French and the terms shows up in English and Greek.

For instance: folder = φάκελος

HTH,

Bernard

septima
Java Mar 26, 2013

Alexandros Mouratidis wrote: I have updated Java to the latest version

Have you tried disabling/uninstalling the latest (7.17) version and going back to the 6 series?

Term recognition uses a connection between Studio and Multiterm via Java. I've had problems with Studio etc. in various areas with the 7 series of JRE, and I'm currently sticking with Java 6 Update 24, which was what was originally installed with Studio 2011.

As a test, it might be worth disabling 7.17 and enabling 6.24, then restarting Studio.

Old Java versions are available here:

http://www.oldapps.com/java.php

Greece
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Software versions? Mar 26, 2013

Can you please let me know which version of Windows, Studio, Multiterm and Java you are running? Perhaps it stops working after an update to one of the above.

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:27
Italian to English
+ ...
Seems to be document/term base sensitive Mar 26, 2013

I had exactly the same problem: no apparent term recognition but terms proposed for insertion by auto-suggest. It started working normally again, however, when I started work on a new project with a different term base and a different term base. Who knows why? Sadly, I don't think SDL do.

No other changes to other software such as Java.

564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Dreading to ask the obvious Mar 26, 2013

Have you set MultiTerm to the correct source/target languages?

I have run into trouble before when I have forgotten to switch the language views back after working in a different language combination.

Greece
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Mar 26, 2013

The correct source and target languages are set.

It used to work fine some time ago, then all of a sudden it stopped. Now term recognition is not working on either of my PCs. I am considering downgrading Java to a previous version but even if that works, it may pose a security risk.

I do find it amazing that a year and a half since Studio 2011 and around four years after 2009 was released SDL has still not managed to get such a vital part of the tool working properly.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
You could try this Mar 26, 2013

There were some hiccups with Java 7.10, when SDL suggested these solutions in KB article 4645 .

Solution 3 worked for me.

HTH

Greece
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Possible solution Mar 26, 2013

It seems now that the problem lies with Multiterm Convert. Any termbases created using the definitions from MT Convert will not work with Studio. I created a new termbase based on the bilingual glossary definition and then imported the XML file created with MT Convert and all of a sudden it works.

Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
Exactly the same error Apr 4, 2013

I have SDL Trados Studio 2011 installed on Windows 7 64-bit. I also have installed SDL Multiterm 2011 (trial). I used Glossary Converter 2.2 (from SDL Open Exchange) to convert a TBX termbase to SDLTB. Before converting the TBX, I've replaced "English (US)" with "English" and "Romanian (Romania)" using search-replace, because the termbase contains both US and UK terms.
Now, when I tried creating a new project and loaded the newly generated SDLTB I received the error: "The default termbase has been changed so the indexes have been changed. Please check that the new indexes are correct."
Also, after I've set all the project settings and hit Prepare project (or Finish; I'm not sure), none of the batch tasks would work and SDL Trados seemed to have just froze at the batch tasks windows. I had to force-close it using Task Manager.
Nonetheless, I uninstalled SDL Multiterm 2011, and despite still receiving the above mentioned error about checking whether the new indexes are correct, I had no problems anymore preparing the project. Now I can open the project file for translation and the termbase is functional.

sdltberror.png

I also have to say that SDL Multiterm 2011 is a very poor application. I don't understand it's purpose. I can edit terms in SDL Trados. Multiterm does not feature the basic Search-Replace function nor does it allow to delete synonyms that are wrongfully entered.

[Edited at 2013-04-04 09:17 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 term recognition not working

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search