Optimal size of a TM for SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance
Thread poster: Henrik Pipoyan

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:45
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Mar 26, 2013

Dear colleagues,

As a new user of SDL Trados I have a question that I think only experienced users can know the answer. What is the optimal size of a TM in megabytes on a machine like Intel i3, 2 GB RAM, and is it better to have several smaller TMs linked to the project or one large one? Which way does the program work faster and better, and does the number of translation units in one TM also affect the speed? If this matters, my version is SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2013-03-26 06:08 GMT]

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:45
Italian to English
Size is not (that) important Mar 26, 2013

Hi Henrik,

It's not so much the size of the TM that's important as its relevance to the text you are translating. A large, "Big Momma"-type TM may or may not slow down your machine but it will certainly throw up a lot of noise in the form of not entirely relevant matches, even if you tweak the match rate. FWIW, I have never had any speed issues with Studio. OK, it performs faster on my newest PC but so do all my other programs, thanks to the solid state drive.

The nice thing about Studio is that you can add TMs to, or remove them from, a given project at will. My customers are all direct so my own approach is to use one project for each and select the appropriate reference (mainly sector or client-focused) TMs to use alongside the project's customer TM depending on the individual document to be translated.

Big TMs are great for generating AutoSuggest dictionaries but not so hot when it comes to actual translating. That's only my experience, though. Other people will have other ideas.

Best,

[Edited at 2013-03-26 07:22 GMT]

Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:45
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
Use of several TM-s at once Mar 26, 2013

Hi Henrik,

As far as I know the old version of Studio (2007) was able to work only with one TM at a time. That's why it was necessary to build up big TM-s for the concordance search. Now that the new version of Studio (2011) can use several TM-s simultaneously you don't need any big TM-s anymore. Instead you can develop smaller TM-s that fit your subject area more precisely.

Cheers,

Maria

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:45
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 26, 2013

Thank you, Giles and Maria. I'm trying to make separate TMs for each of my regular clients, and some of them have sent me hundreds of projects over the past years with very similar content. And though many phrases are repeated from project to project, still the TMs grow slowly, and I was afraid at a certain point they might stop responding. Anyway, I think I can split them into several TMs in case they get too big.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Trados is not Studio Mar 26, 2013

Why always mix everything? There was Trados, which was abandoned after version 2007. Then came SDL Studio 2009 and 2011. There is no Studio 2007, never has been. One of the predecessors of Studio was SDLX, which was bundled with Trados. Nowadays there is no Trados anymore on the market.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:45
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Trados Studio Mar 26, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Why always mix everything? There was Trados, which was abandoned after version 2007. Then came SDL Studio 2009 and 2011. There is no Studio 2007, never has been. One of the predecessors of Studio was SDLX, which was bundled with Trados. Nowadays there is no Trados anymore on the market.

Not quite, Heinrich: The official name of the product is, afaik: "SDL Trados Studio 2011".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Optimal size of a TM for SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search