Why oh why does Studio 2009 delete recent projects when it crashes?
Thread poster: Will Kelly
Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
Apr 2, 2013

does Studio 2009 have to delete recent projects when it crashes? I've learned from experience to update my main memory so as much of the target text can be automatically repopulated once I create a new project, but whenever it does crash I know I've lost at least 10-15 minutes work. Other programs (e.g. MS Word) recover documents - why can't this one? Why delete at all?!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2013-04-02 19:18 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:59
Italian to English
You don't have to Apr 2, 2013

If I understand what you are saying, when it crashes the project may be deleted from the list but it is not at all deleted. Go to open > project and then find the sdlproj file from whatever file it is in. This calls it up and you will have everything to the last save and, even if you didn't save, what was not will still come up as 100% matches. So you don't lose anything. The key is simply to reopen the project, not create a new one.
Eileen

Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 2, 2013

even if you didn't save, what was not will still come up as 100% matches.

How does it do that without you committing the text to the project TM or main TM?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TUs saved immediately Apr 2, 2013

Will Kelly wrote:

even if you didn't save, what was not will still come up as 100% matches.

How does it do that without you committing the text to the project TM or main TM?

All TUs are saved to the TM (project or main TM) the moment you confirm them.

Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Is this automatic, Apr 2, 2013

or do you have to select an option for it to do so? Because if Studio crashes, and I open a project from the sdlxliff, any TUs that were confirmed after the last save are lost. It only preserves the ones prior to the last save.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TUs Apr 2, 2013

TUs are saved to your TM after you confirm them (CTRL+ENTER). The SDLXLIFF might be empty from the position of the last save, but you can still use your TM to pretranslate the empty segments.

[Upraveno: 2013-04-02 22:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why oh why does Studio 2009 delete recent projects when it crashes?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search