Preparing "X files" (.docx, .pptx, etc.) files in Studio 2011
Thread poster: Francine Boissonnault

Francine Boissonnault
Local time: 10:59
English to French
Apr 2, 2013

Hi!

Since I upgraded to Studio 2011, I am unable to prepare Word files that end with "x" (.docx, .pptx, etc.)

When I import the file in English, and right click to get the task drop down menu, I see only "no task available". I have to open the file in Office and resave in .doc, or .ppt in order for Studio to see the file and offer me the possibility to prep the file.

I did not have that problem before, with Studio 2009.

Any idea how to solve that problem?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Office 2007 or later Apr 3, 2013

Maybe you have to choose the right selector switch for newer Office-formats? Can you select "all" formats?.

Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:59
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
XXX Apr 3, 2013

XXX

[Edited at 2013-04-03 09:04 GMT]

Francine Boissonnault
Local time: 10:59
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 5, 2013

It was not selected, for some strange reason.
Thanks!

Ofra Hod  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:59
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
Please explain the solution Dec 22, 2013

I have the same problem, but in "Project Settings" > "File Types" all the checkboxes are checked, so I really don't know what selecting "all" format means. Can you please explain?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
I don’t understand the solution either... Dec 22, 2013

... but the normal reason for tasks not being available is because there is no Project yet. So if you save the file in Studio this will create a single file project and then the tasks will become available to you.

It’s not necessary in the same way with Studio 2014 but in 2009 and 2011 it was... this article explains a little about why and might be helpful for you : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-1A

Regards

Paul

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
File types in Project Settings question: Dec 22, 2013

Can I take the opportunity and ask: What happens if I change some of the File Type settings during a project in the Project Settings after my project is finished? I do this very rarely, I trust the default ones, also I'd be too scary to set things wrong. Will I have to revert the changes back after my project is over?

Thanks,
Mike

[Edited at 2013-12-22 23:53 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Probably nothing... Dec 23, 2013

MikeTrans wrote:

Can I take the opportunity and ask: What happens if I change some of the File Type settings during a project in the Project Settings after my project is finished? I do this very rarely, I trust the default ones, also I'd be too scary to set things wrong. Will I have to revert the changes back after my project is over?

... because the filetype settings are used when the file is prepared, once it’s converted to sdlxliff that’s it.

If you change the settings under Tools -> Options (2009/2011) or File -> Options (2014) then you will see the differences with the next project you create (unless you use Project Templates).

Maybe see this article : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-fz

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preparing "X files" (.docx, .pptx, etc.) files in Studio 2011

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search