Is it possible to override tag error ??
Thread poster: JennyItaly
JennyItaly
Local time: 03:25
Italian to English
Apr 3, 2013

STUDIO 2011 SP2

Morning all,
I received a package and the file to be translated was prepared from a manual in IT which was originally full of diagrams.

Even before translating .. it is impossible to 'save target' as it generates a tag error '< cr /' on 1 line only.
There is no tag on that line ... I tried copying the source, translating ...deleting .. everything.
I have done everything possible to get round this problem, the job is now complete (2 manuals with the same error) but there is no way to save the target.

I read online that the error will have been generated by a picture deleted incorrectly (or words to that extent) ...

My question is .... despite appreciating the fact that STUDIO warns you when there is an error/incongruence/extra or missing tag etc..... there MUST be a way SOMEHOW to override such errors when, for whatever reason we 'don't care' about the error or, as in this case, the error is not an error and all I want to do is save it in WORD.

I have also tried disabling TAG check in EDITOR/FILE TYPES/WORD ... but that didn't work either ...

Please tell me I am missing something and someone has the answer !!!!

Thanks in advance

Jenny

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
No way to override the tag error... Apr 3, 2013

... so the best solution may be to try and recreate the Project from the source files yourself and see if you can save these. If the Project was created with an older version of the software that might be the key to the problem.

If not, then you may have to look for the problem in the source file. The way to do this is as follows, and is faster than you might think at first.. but you will need the application that is capable of opening the original source file. So for a docx you need MSWord, for IDML you need InDesign etc.:

1. Split the source file into two
2. Using open document open and immediately save the target for each one.
3. Hopefully only one will fail, so you then open that half and split it again.
4. Using open document open and immediately save the target for each one.
5. etc.

Eventually you will get down to the problem and may be able to remove it from the source file and then pretranslate the rest from your TM. Finally, if appropriate, you add the offending part back in and translate any text associated with it. Quite often it turns out to be nothing translatable and even things that can be left out.

If this doesn't help, or you are unsure about how to proceed drop me an email at pfilkin@sdl.com and we can try to help resolve this.

Regards

Paul

JennyItaly
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Split sounds good .... Apr 3, 2013

Hi Paul,
thanks as always for your precious input.
The originals I have are the .xliff files so I cannot improve that side of things.
I will attempt to split the files as I know the segment the error occurs in.

Excuse my ignorance ..... but can you split a file even if it is a .xliff file ??

Many thanks again

Jen

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Splitting the xliff Apr 3, 2013

Hi Jen,

You could do but this is trickier. If you have an xliff validation tool that may be a faster way to find the problem. So something like the XLIFFChecker provided with Max Programs Swordfish tool perhaps. If you want to send me the file I can check this for you and see whether the problem is easily resolved?

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to override tag error ??

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search