Studio ate my file and what now?
Thread poster: Joanna Ryzenweber
Joanna Ryzenweber
Poland
Local time: 16:55
Polish to English
+ ...
Apr 3, 2013

While closing and saving a pending project, Studio displayed a message about "SystemOutOfMemory" or "TranslationProviderThrewException", I can't remember exactly, as I encounter both these messages quite frequently and I somehow got accustomed to it.

But now for the first time I could not reopen the project. I got "Unexpected end of file..." and the target SDLXLIFF is completely corrupt, it does not contain any trans-units.

I did not update my TMs because I always do it after finishing the project. Data was not saved automatically, and my TM knows nothing of the project that took me a week.

Is there any chance of recovering any earlier version of the SDLXLIFF file from somewhere? Or to recover anything from any TM or any other resource whatsoever? My deadline is today and I'm left with nothing...

Direct link Reply with quote

James Heppe-Smith  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English

Don't panic! Apr 3, 2013

This happened to me once, and I managed to recover most of my work.

If you make a copy of the original source file, with a slightly different name, and add it to the source language tab in the files section of your project, then prepare files (under project > batch tasks), it should (if you have been using a project TM) recover the work you have already done.

If you have been working directly with your main TMs this should also work - although from the description of your problem it sounds as if this is unlikely.

Good luck.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Recovering the file Apr 3, 2013

Hi Joanna,

I think if you wish to work like this that you should always create a Project and use a Project TM. This way you always save your work as you go and can still update your Main TM when you're finished.

But to recover what you have done now... presumably you have saved the files at some point over the week? So if you go to the folder where your translated sdlxliff is you may be able to create a new TM and import the sdlxliff into it. Then pretranslate the original source file.

If that doesn't work drop me an email at pfilkin@sdl.com and maybe we can take a look and see what we can do to help.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Joanna Ryzenweber
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 3, 2013

James Heppe-Smith wrote:

If you make a copy of the original source file, with a slightly different name, and add it to the source language tab in the files section of your project, then prepare files (under project > batch tasks), it should (if you have been using a project TM) recover the work you have already done.

I DID actually work with a project TM and your solution worked perfectly!
I didn't manage to recover all the segments, but a great deal of my work is back.
I wasn't aware that project TMs were so valuable! I always used them without much thought, now I will be using them with more respect
Thanks a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio ate my file and what now?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search