Creating a bilingual Word file with Studio 2009
Thread poster: xxxjacana54
xxxjacana54  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 4, 2013

Hello,

My client has sent a Word document with parts of the text in color or bold. It also contains photos. He wants the translation as a bilingual document in two columns because the layout person doesn't understand Spanish.

I've just started, but I tried pasting the source text into one column of an Excel file, and the Spanish text into the next column, and I see that all the formating is lost.

In another forum I read about SDL XLIFF Converter for MS Office which would apparently create a docx with the source and the target text

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=2

but I am not sure if this would do the trick and I hate the idea of installing anything in my computer that might mess up other things which are working correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much!

P.S. I've just realized that if I click on "print preview" I can see exactly what I want to get... but it's a web page, not a document.

[Edited at 2013-04-04 23:25 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:24
English
The SDLXLIFF to MSOffice Converter... Apr 5, 2013

Lucia Colombino wrote:

In another forum I read about SDL XLIFF Converter for MS Office which would apparently create a docx with the source and the target text

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=2

P.S. I've just realized that if I click on "print preview" I can see exactly what I want to get... but it's a web page, not a document.

[Edited at 2013-04-04 23:25 GMT]

... will give you a similar layout as the print preview but as a word document. Studio 2011 has this feature built in.

Regards

Paul

Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Paul Apr 5, 2013

I'll give it a try, then!

Yes, I know that Studio 2011 has this feature built in, but I'm still undecided as to whether to get it or to go for MemoQ. In any case, it will be in the second semester.

Best wishes,

Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Apr 6, 2013

Thanks again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a bilingual Word file with Studio 2009

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search