Trados2011 bilingual XML Filter : How to see src left and edit target right?
Thread poster: Christopher Koebel
Christopher Koebel
Christopher Koebel
Germany
Local time: 07:02
French to German
+ ...
Apr 5, 2013

Hello fellow translators,

I'm trying to get my head around XML import filters - but the Trados help is no big help, and an this thread http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/217948-parser_rules_for_bilingual_xml_in_sdl_studio_2011.html is about TMX files, which are already prepared as Source=Target.

... See more
Hello fellow translators,

I'm trying to get my head around XML import filters - but the Trados help is no big help, and an this thread http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/217948-parser_rules_for_bilingual_xml_in_sdl_studio_2011.html is about TMX files, which are already prepared as Source=Target.

The process to mark XML nodes as translatable (or not) is straightforward: Name the node and set it to either.

The problem arises when the XML file is bilingual and I want to have its "text" (source) nodes visible in the left editor column and its "translation" (target) nodes editable in the right column, because what happens with source=non-translatable and translation=translatable is that I get shown some already translated "translation" (which I don't need to translate again), or nothing at all for those pairs where the "translation" node is empty!

e.g. XML looks like this (tags changed to circumvent deletion by forum):

«seg id="abc123"»
«text>«![CDATA[Prüfen Sie bitte Ihre Unterlagen.]]»«/text»
«translation>«![CDATA[Veuillez vérifier vos documents.]]»«/translation»
«/seg»
«seg id="def456"»
«text»«![CDATA[Die Bankleitzahl bzw. BIC ist ungültig.]]»«/text»
«translation»«![CDATA[]]>«/translation»
«/anwendungsmeldung»

Segment abc123 will show the "translation" text as source in the left editor column AND as translatable text in the right column - but segment def456 won't show at all!

Which is no big surprise because I told Trados in the Parser rules that only "translation" nodes are translatable.

So... what do I need to do? Use a text editor and some fancy RegEx to copy all source tag content to EMPTY target tag content? I could (and did, on a previous project), but I am positively of the opinion that I should be able to set this once as an import filter in Trados and use that file type without any hassle.

Is there help? Many thanks in advance,
Christopher
Collapse

ErikAnderson3
ErikAnderson3
Local time: 22:02
Regex is your friend. Apr 29, 2013

We've had similar requirements -- a column showing the source, and a column showing the translation. The only way we've gotten this to work correctly in Studio is by first copying the source to the translation, then marking the translation column as the text to work with and telling Studio to ignore the source column.

In an XML format like what you've got, a regex is probably your best bet. Studio doesn't have any facility for what you describe. Dunno about other TM tools.
... See more
We've had similar requirements -- a column showing the source, and a column showing the translation. The only way we've gotten this to work correctly in Studio is by first copying the source to the translation, then marking the translation column as the text to work with and telling Studio to ignore the source column.

In an XML format like what you've got, a regex is probably your best bet. Studio doesn't have any facility for what you describe. Dunno about other TM tools.

Cheers,

-- Erik Anderson
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you have C# skills... Apr 29, 2013

... then I think this would be a pretty simple filetype to create through the SDK. The SDK has a sample bilingual XML file in the help so there's a good starting point.

Regards

Paul

Christopher Koebel
Christopher Koebel
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 30, 2013

Thank you both,

it's what I thought - manual/RegEx file preparation, or perhaps making use of the Okapi framework's "translation package creation" method if I can find out how to fill only empty target nodes with copies of the source string.

Unfortunately, I'm unaccustomed to the C language family - Perl, a bit, so maybe I'll end up with a Perl script to pre/postprocess the files. Nevertheless, thanks for the pointer to custom file type creation with the SDK!

... See more
Thank you both,

it's what I thought - manual/RegEx file preparation, or perhaps making use of the Okapi framework's "translation package creation" method if I can find out how to fill only empty target nodes with copies of the source string.

Unfortunately, I'm unaccustomed to the C language family - Perl, a bit, so maybe I'll end up with a Perl script to pre/postprocess the files. Nevertheless, thanks for the pointer to custom file type creation with the SDK!

Kind regards
Christopher
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados2011 bilingual XML Filter : How to see src left and edit target right?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »