align 2 excel files 1:1 (1 column each only) ~ SDL Trado Studio 2011 ~
Thread poster: paule2000
paule2000
paule2000
Flemish to German
+ ...
Apr 7, 2013

Hello proz community!

It seems that I am unable to get a satisfying alignment result with my 2 very basic excel files.

Each file consists of a 1-column list only.
Now I want to align them 1:1, meaning, each cell is to be connected with the corresponding one in the other file.

The problem is, I have punctuation marks in my cells (One cell: “Otto vs. Paul”) which leads in SDL's WinAlign to a splitting of this very cell after "." (Two Cells: “Otto
... See more
Hello proz community!

It seems that I am unable to get a satisfying alignment result with my 2 very basic excel files.

Each file consists of a 1-column list only.
Now I want to align them 1:1, meaning, each cell is to be connected with the corresponding one in the other file.

The problem is, I have punctuation marks in my cells (One cell: “Otto vs. Paul”) which leads in SDL's WinAlign to a splitting of this very cell after "." (Two Cells: “Otto vs.” and “Paul”).

What can I do? I already played with the settings, but I cannot get a good result.

Is there any way to tell WinAlign, to align the excel cells “as they are”?

Would anyone help me, please?!

[Bearbeitet am 2013-04-07 16:59 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:47
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Avoid Winalign Apr 8, 2013

There are a couple of good ways of generating a TM out of two files like that, none of which involve WinAlign.
Here's an article I wrote about them: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3194/
I'd recommend 2 a). Just copy-paste the two columns into column A and B of an xls file and run the TMX maker on them. The TMX maker now has a graphical userinterface a
... See more
There are a couple of good ways of generating a TM out of two files like that, none of which involve WinAlign.
Here's an article I wrote about them: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3194/
I'd recommend 2 a). Just copy-paste the two columns into column A and B of an xls file and run the TMX maker on them. The TMX maker now has a graphical userinterface and it supports xls input files.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:47
English
Another if the excel file doesn't... Apr 8, 2013

... contain formatted text.

1. Copy both columns into one excel file
2. Correct the alignment in Excel
3. Save the file as csv (supports bilingual format)
4. Open the csv in Studio, save it as an sdlxliff and then import the sdlxliff into your Studio TM

Nice article though... very useful.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

align 2 excel files 1:1 (1 column each only) ~ SDL Trado Studio 2011 ~

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »