Studio 2011 seemingly getting corrupt
Thread poster: Ronald van Riet

Ronald van Riet  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:39
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 8, 2013

I am working on a largish file (35000 words) that was delivered as an sdlxliff file that I imported into a dedicated project. After having run through about 25% of the document, all of a sudden Studio runs into some problems:
1. the automatic spell checker doesn't work anymore (but the spell checker from the tools menu still works)
2. the count for the number of words translated but not yet approved shows a negative sign.

These two problems happened overnight, with the automatic spell checker disappearing being the nastiest by far.

Stopping and restarting Studio or the computer doesn't change anything.

For another (much smaller) document in another project, the automatic spell checker doesn't work either (so this problem is not just limited to one project), but the count is displayed correctly.

I run Studio 2011 SP2R - 10.1.3069.1 which is reported to be the very latest version.

Anyone else having experienced these same phenomena?

Thanks for your contributions

Ronald

Direct link Reply with quote

mirekk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Negative word/character count Apr 8, 2013

I notice that phenomenon from time to time after multiple (like a lot) Merge segments operations.
The counter seems to het lost in such situations. Haven't found any solution yet...

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:39
Member (2004)
English to Italian
No idea about the spell-checker... Apr 8, 2013

but for the word count run the "Translation Count" batch task... it should fix it.

Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation count is fixed... Apr 8, 2013

...by running the batch utility as suggested, but the worst problem is the one with the automatic spell check having stooped and I am seriously thinking about reinstalling Studio 2011 to try and get this solved...

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Spelling Apr 8, 2013

Hi,

Have you tried Tools -> Options -> Editor -> Spelling -> Check Spelling as you type, may be unchecked, just check the box again.

HTH,

Bernard

Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that seemed too simple Apr 8, 2013

I did have this set (I had checked that before of course), but you gave me another idea:

I changed from MS Word spell checker to internal spellchecker and that did the trick. Apparently my MS Word is the one that is corrupt.

Thanks for leading me to the solution!

How simple life can be...

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Task Manager Apr 8, 2013

Also, make sure WinWord.exe is not running -> Task Manager -> Process -> WinWord.exe, click on Stop Process, might have to do with a plug-in issue. If - Then - Else

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-04-08 19:34 GMT]

Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
will reinstall MS Word Apr 9, 2013

using Task Manager to close winword is no option since I need MS Word all the time. I will reinstall it. I have installed a 64 bit version which seems to give a lot of problems with plug ins, the 32 bit version should give far fewer problems.

Thanks for all contributions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 seemingly getting corrupt

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search