FM10+2011SP1: Paragraph format tags going wild
Thread poster: Anninili
Anninili
Local time: 22:36
English to German
+ ...
Apr 9, 2013

Hai,

with my last translation I encountered a strange formatting behaviour. Somehow the format tags (? or whatever?) moved/changed when converting the original mif file into sdlxliff (that is what I assume but I am not sure).

My original text in FrameMaker looks like this line:

Anweisung. Tu das

The target files then looks like this here:

Instruction. Do this

I looked into both MIF files, there is something changed, but I do not understand why and what I can do so it will not happen? I can also see, that the change is already done in the sdlxliff file. It is a new problem I did not encounter before, other files are okay (well, regarding this problem... ), it is only one file in the book that shows that behavior. I did several modifications in my project template, file type section but it had no effect whatsoever (plus I am actually happy with my templates, they are working with other files, I do not want to change them).

Any ideas what I can check/try/do (beside going throught he manual and change the formatting manually for each instruction... )

Thanks in advance,
Anneliese

[Edited at 2013-04-09 10:33 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Misplaced tags? Apr 9, 2013

Looks like the tags have been misplaced in the translation.

Source:

[bold ] Anweisung. [/bold ] [ italic]Tu das [ /italic]

Translation:
[bold ] Instruction. Do this [/bold ] [ italic] [ /italic]

To be clear: I mean that in the sdlxliff file the 2nd sentence is placed between wrong tags. You should change the View mode in the editor so you would clearly see which tags are where, and where exactly you should place the translation.

[Edited at 2013-04-09 09:23 GMT]

Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry but no ;) Apr 9, 2013

Hi,

thanks for the answer but no, there are no tags that could be misplaced. I am sorry, I should have been more specific: in Frame we basically work with paragraph formats, so the first bit (Anweisung) is a variable using one paragraph format, appearing in one line (in Studio only), the second bit (Tu das) is regular text using another paragraph format, appearing in Studio in a new line, so we do have very few formatting tags within the text, in this case none.

I now opened the "Show all content" view (should have done this earlier but I forgot about that), I can see that the paragraph format of the first bit (the variable) now embraces both paragraphs, but there is no way I get this paragraph tag moved back (plus do I really want to move the tags around for every Instruction?)? When I look into the original mif, I can see that the formatting tags seem okay, the translated mif looks different here.

Okay, I go ahead and do the change now manually in Frame but is there some logic behind this behaviour so we can avoid it in future? We tend to have quite a lot of instructions in our manuals - I really do not want to spend my future redoing the formatting.... I also compared this file with other files where the formatting is okay, and I can't see a difference in the original file.

Cheers,
Anneliese

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FM10+2011SP1: Paragraph format tags going wild

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search