Trados 2011 network licence required despite no network
Thread poster: rcmold

rcmold  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:20
German to English
Apr 10, 2013

I have upgraded to trados 2011 and have a problem with the licence. The Software won't work because it detects that I am working in a domain network. I share an office with other people (not translators) - we dont share any work, software, files, data or anything, just internet access and printers. But trados will not work and I'm told that I have to have a more expensive licence. It seems unfair somehow.
Anyway, I have tried it at home as well, and it doesnt work there either (I have a combined wlan router and modem) and it still even gives the same error message when I disconnect the laptop from the home wlan - when I am completely isolated.
I can only assume that it detects the network settings which are in place for when I am in the office. I dont want to overwrite those only to have to put them back in when I am in the office, I dont touch them anyway as I leave that to an IT expert.
Does anyone else have similar problems?

[Edited at 2013-04-10 14:20 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Your computer is a part of the domain? Apr 10, 2013

rcmold wrote:

(...)

I can only assume that it detects the network settings which are in place for when I am in the office. I dont want to overwrite those only to have to put them back in when I am in the office, I don't touch them anyway as I leave that to an IT expert.
Does anyone else have similar problems?

Your computer is a member of the domain?
If yes, you can't use the FL license in any way 'cause the domain authentication mode is detected.
If you set your machine is a part of a workgroup, it will work again.
The licensing module checks only the name (ID) of the network defined for the machine, i.e. you can use FL on a domain based network if your machine is set as a workgroup member.
Ask your IT staff for permission/help.

Cheers
GG

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Workgroup solution Apr 11, 2013

Thank you- that sounds promising. The administrator is here next week, he thinks it should be no Problem, he will try it next week. I will let you know what happens.

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
It works - but it its a lot of work! Apr 19, 2013

Thank you for the tip. It does work, I can use the printers and internet in the shared office, and the software. I am now in a usergroup instead of the Domain.
However it caused a lot of work, for no obvious benefit. A lot of programs were affected, I have had to restore program add-ins, favourites, and all my Outlook data.
All very much hard work!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 network licence required despite no network

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search