Trados 2011 network licence required despite no network
Thread poster: rcmold

rcmold  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
German to English
Apr 10, 2013

I have upgraded to trados 2011 and have a problem with the licence. The Software won't work because it detects that I am working in a domain network. I share an office with other people (not translators) - we dont share any work, software, files, data or anything, just internet access and printers. But trados will not work and I'm told that I have to have a more expensive licence. It seems unfair somehow.
Anyway, I have tried it at home as well, and it doesnt work there either (I have a combined wlan router and modem) and it still even gives the same error message when I disconnect the laptop from the home wlan - when I am completely isolated.
I can only assume that it detects the network settings which are in place for when I am in the office. I dont want to overwrite those only to have to put them back in when I am in the office, I dont touch them anyway as I leave that to an IT expert.
Does anyone else have similar problems?

[Edited at 2013-04-10 14:20 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Your computer is a part of the domain? Apr 10, 2013

rcmold wrote:

(...)

I can only assume that it detects the network settings which are in place for when I am in the office. I dont want to overwrite those only to have to put them back in when I am in the office, I don't touch them anyway as I leave that to an IT expert.
Does anyone else have similar problems?

Your computer is a member of the domain?
If yes, you can't use the FL license in any way 'cause the domain authentication mode is detected.
If you set your machine is a part of a workgroup, it will work again.
The licensing module checks only the name (ID) of the network defined for the machine, i.e. you can use FL on a domain based network if your machine is set as a workgroup member.
Ask your IT staff for permission/help.

Cheers
GG

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Workgroup solution Apr 11, 2013

Thank you- that sounds promising. The administrator is here next week, he thinks it should be no Problem, he will try it next week. I will let you know what happens.

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
It works - but it its a lot of work! Apr 19, 2013

Thank you for the tip. It does work, I can use the printers and internet in the shared office, and the software. I am now in a usergroup instead of the Domain.
However it caused a lot of work, for no obvious benefit. A lot of programs were affected, I have had to restore program add-ins, favourites, and all my Outlook data.
All very much hard work!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 network licence required despite no network

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search