Thread poster: Francesco Pircio

Francesco Pircio  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:03
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 11, 2013

Hello!

I am trying to open some xliff (or xlf) files with Studio 2011 and I get this warning:

XLIFF validation error on line 1 offset 49: The value 'TXT' is not valid according to any of the memberTypes of the union.

Does anybody know what this is about?

Thanks and regards,

Francesco

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:03
English
Most probably... Apr 11, 2013

... it's because there is an incorrect value on an attribute. You can either correct the xliff, or just disable to verification in the XLIFF filetype:

The default validates the file so this should resolve the problem.

Regards

Paul

Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
xliff (or xlf) files Apr 12, 2013

Thank you, it seems that I don't get the error anymore.

Francesco

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:03
English
It would be time well spent... Apr 12, 2013

... to check that the target file is sound before translating this. So just save target immediately and ask your client to check it. This is because when you ignore a validation error like this in Studio it is quite possible, depending on the error, that Studio will take steps to deal with it and these steps might change the structure of the file.

So please check this before you do much work. It's always better to make sure the file is valid before translating and then you avoid unnecessary problems later on.

Regards

Paul

Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Paul. I will test it. Apr 13, 2013

Thanks, Paul. I will test it.

It is still a mistery why I get that warning to all the XLIFF which I download from the client's portal.
I am now using Virtaal to translate the files but would rather use Studio for several reasons.

I wonder if there is also a way to convert the xliff to another format, translate it, and convert it back.

Just an idea......

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

xliff (or xlf) files

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search