Thread poster: steph_cuevas

steph_cuevas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:38
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Apr 11, 2013

Hello,

I would like to inquire if I can re-install my SDL Trados Studio 2011 after system recovery (pc reformatting)?

If so, can you please guide me through the process.

Here are my pc details:

I'd appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Stephanie

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:38
English
Not too complicated Apr 12, 2013

Hi Stephanie,

The most important thing, as the process itself is simple, is to know whether you managed to return your license before the reformatting took place? If not then you will need to contact the licensiing team through the solution finder (or via support if you have a support contract). The reason being is that when you activate your license it is registered in your My Account and one of your available licenses is tagged as in use. So if you don;t return it then it won't be available to activate again. To resolve this it's simple, go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- I have lost one of my license activations and would like to have it reset.

Also make sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

Once you have done this, or if you don't need to do this, then just download your installation software from the My Downloads section of your My Account and run the installers. Do it in this order:

Studio 2011
MultiTerm 2011

Then either update these versions with latest cumulative pathes using the autoupdate functions in these products or go the the following KB articles where you can download and apply the updates manually:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4536&source=article&c=12&cid=23

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4073&source=article&c=12&cid=23

That's it. Should be simple.

Regards

Paul

United States
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 12, 2013

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your response.

I haven't done the system recovery yet.

As I understand, I will need to first return the SDL Trados Studio 2011 license (deactivate) before proceeding with the system recovery as you mentioned.

Will I be able to retrieve the TMs stored in the SDL software after activation? That is, I will not lose any data in the SDL Trados upon re-installation?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Stephanie

spamalot
Germany
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
man, I killed the computer because of win 8 Apr 12, 2013

No offense to no one, but there's an issue that is a problem with SDL itself:
there's Windows 8 not working functionally for everyone -- my rather good computer died after the first 35 Windows updates in service pack 3, SO I bought a new one, really good, only Trados Will Not Accept My Purchased License Numbers -- and there's no number to call!!!! That is not ok in my opinion -- probably off topic, in case it helps anyone in distress -- there's always me out there in massive distress -- after Trados was accepted on my old computer that had "other" problems and simply died with all contents about 73 hours ago.

------>Why will Trados not simply accept the money I have already paid it and why will Trados always prompt me to get an "agency" sorta "upgrade" for more dough even still???

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
System (Windows OS) recovery or disk formatting? Apr 12, 2013

steph_cuevas wrote:

Hello,

I would like to inquire if I can re-install my SDL Trados Studio 2011 after system recovery (pc reformatting)?

Steph,

Are you talking about:
a) System (Windows OS) recovery
-- OR --
b) Hard disk reformatting?

With option (a), no data is lost. Windows simply goes back to a certain previous point, i.e., last week, etc. This is what Microsoft says:
"System Restore uses restore points to return your system files and settings to an earlier point in time without affecting personal files. Restore points are created automatically every week, and just before significant system events, such as the installation of a program or device driver. You can also create a restore point manually."

With option (b) all is lost, including operating system, software applications and data, and you practically start all over with a newly formatted hard drive ready for you to install your operating system and application software, store data, etc.

Maybe you can be more specific as to what you are referring to.

United Kingdom
English
Good points by... Apr 12, 2013

... Miguel. I assumed that when you wrote in brackets "pc reformatting" that this meant you reformatted your hard disk. If this is indeed what you meant then as Miguel stated you will need to reinstall your software from scratch as I mentioned originally, and this means that unless you also have a back up of your data somewhere then you have also lost your TMs. The installation software will not have a copy of your TMs built into them.

On the licensing... if you have not returned the license yet and you did format your PC then you will have to ask licensing to make it available for you after rebuilding your PC because you haven't got anything to return.

So perhaps you could clarify exactly what you meant and then you'll get the right advice.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
Contacting SDL Apr 12, 2013

spamalot wrote:

No offense to no one, but there's an issue that is a problem with SDL itself:
there's Windows 8 not working functionally for everyone -- my rather good computer died after the first 35 Windows updates in service pack 3, SO I bought a new one, really good, only Trados Will Not Accept My Purchased License Numbers -- and there's no number to call!!!!

Hi,

If you are having licensing or installation problems then as mentioned in this forum many many times, and on the SDL website under Support ( http://www.sdl.com/support/language-technology-products/ ) you can contact support through the Solution Finder. Go to the Knowledgebase;

Licensing Problems

Pick the correct route for you (possibly the one above) and if appropriate you will be presented with a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day (but today is late on Friday so it will be Monday now).

Also make sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

Regards

Paul

United States
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Disk formatting Apr 13, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... Miguel. I assumed that when you wrote in brackets "pc reformatting" that this meant you reformatted your hard disk. If this is indeed what you meant then as Miguel stated you will need to reinstall your software from scratch as I mentioned originally, and this means that unless you also have a back up of your data somewhere then you have also lost your TMs. The installation software will not have a copy of your TMs built into them.

On the licensing... if you have not returned the license yet and you did format your PC then you will have to ask licensing to make it available for you after rebuilding your PC because you haven't got anything to return.

So perhaps you could clarify exactly what you meant and then you'll get the right advice.

Regards

Paul

Thank you Miguel and Paul. Sorry for term misuse. Yes, I was actually referring to disk formatting.

Best regards,
Stephanie

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Disk formatting Apr 13, 2013

steph_cuevas wrote:

I was actually referring to disk formatting.

In that case, as Paul mentioned, you will have to go through the whole process.

The painful process:
  1. Back up your data (including your TMs!)

2. Return your SDL license

3. Format your hard drive

4. Install Windows

5. Install all your software, including your SDL programs

6. Reactivate your SDL license

7. Transfer all your backed up data back to your hard disk
But, are you sure you need to go to the extreme of formatting your hard disk? It is not a walk in the park, and you'd better avoid it if you can.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2013-04-13 18:50 GMT]

spamalot
Germany
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
ok, I had been that far Apr 13, 2013

Paul wrote:

"Hi,

If you are having licensing or installation problems then as mentioned in this forum many many times, and on the SDL website under Support...."

The only real practical problem while waiting and waiting for a response is that the trial versions (turns out the 2007 version is also trial as it keeps asking me to re-enter my key) cannot convert the old versions of TMs which were kindly sent to me by my agency to continue with the further files in the project..... :0

I'll wait until they eventually get back to me, but: the help on the Trados website says "you have to deactivate the version running on the other computer" -- that requires a "deactivation code within your software" --- my 2 problems: 1.) the "other computer" died a terrible death and is currently being deleted; 2.) where is the activation code "in my software" --- if I had the deactivation codes I would be able to re-enter my keys once and be good to go.

This is a real problem because my reactivation of everything else I have worked flawlessly and it is simply Trados that makes stuff very complicated. I am not sure these aspects have been discussed in the so-called repeated postings of how to reinstall.

If there was an option to eliminate the so-called running versions, then I would probably be a happy camper --- presuming that in the following steps Trados would then when reinstalled on the new machine accept my keys. What I do not understand is why the trial versions won't read export memories. That makes no sense to me, but anyhow, I will be looking forward to any email from Trados, whenever they will be ready. Why would I need to buy a service level agreement to get help, when --- this is my attitude problem here: there is no "offline certificate with my online installation" and there is no "deactivation code 'within my software'".

Thus my annoyance. I hope to not have offended anyone with my rude, repetitive explanations and hope to also not have exceeded the maximum word count.

Many thanks for any input anyone might have about this.

**** forgot to mention the bit that gets to me while explaining my attitude problem: when I want to open the translation file in Trados 2009 (apparently trial version although one license is available) it tells me nothing and simply shuts down, before I re-re-installed it told me there's an error in the program and that it needs to shut down and restart and "search for solution" --- not a real hint as to why that is.... probably because it is the trial version... hm. Sorry to be reposting this as it surely has been mentioned "many many times before" ++++++++++++

****also did not say at first: deleting the old computer was near impossible for the IT professional I had hired while he was on his on-site visit to my office. He took the computer with him after nearly 5 hours and promised to make it delete all reformat and produce a back-up PC at some point. So even if I wanted to I cannot "delete my old PC" ---> therefore I need a "deactivation certificate" from Trados and they are as unresponsive as they normally are for their --- sorry, no offense: bread and butter translators who are the ones buying their stuff like addicts, while the corporate accounts yield more profit apparently. Simply wondering how a standard issue can get out of hand so much that translators keep re-posting this. Sorry again to be so repetitive, I must really read up on my IT know-how to be handling that job on top of my business as translator.icon_wink.gif +++++++++++++++++++++++++

[Edited at 2013-04-13 20:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-13 20:52 GMT]

United States
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 13, 2013

Miguel Carmona wrote:

steph_cuevas wrote:

I was actually referring to disk formatting.

In that case, as Paul mentioned, you will have to go through the whole process.

The painful process:
  1. Back up your data (including your TMs!)

2. Return your SDL license

3. Format your hard drive

4. Install Windows

5. Install all your software, including your SDL programs

6. Reactivate your SDL license

7. Transfer all your backed up data back to your hard disk
But, are you sure you need to go to the extreme of formatting your hard disk? It is not a walk in the park, and you'd better avoid it if you can.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2013-04-13 18:50 GMT]

Thanks a lot again Miguel. Yes, unfortunately I don't have any other option to skip this procedure. My pc was infected with a trojan virus and corrupted my external drive while plugged in. And so, I am going to format my disk and re-install everything. I will also install a software which can only be installed at one time.

Best regards,
Stephanie

Natalia Franco  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:38
English to Spanish
"I have lost one of my license activations..." option deleted from KB Jun 6, 2014

Hi,

If you are having licensing or installation problems then as mentioned in this forum many many times, and on the SDL website under Support ( http://www.sdl.com/support/language-technology-products/ ) you can contact support through the Solution Finder. Go to the Knowledgebase;

Licensing Problems

Hello everyone,

I am having the same problem Steph had, and I didn't return my license before the computer was formated.

Unfortunately, the "I have lost one of my license activations and would like to have it reset" option under "Licensing Problems" has been somehow deleted, and I am freaking out right now. Please, please, please, can someone help me out with this? How do I contact the SDL licensing team directly?

Thank you!

United Kingdom
English
I guess it's changed since this old post... Jun 6, 2014

... but just read the actual instructions in the solution finder and I'm sure you'll find it.

Go to the Knowledgebase;

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder ( http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf ) and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- I use SDL Trados Studio / SDL Passolo – 2011 or 2014
-- I need to have my license reset

Pick the correct route for you and if appropriate you will be presented with a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day (but probably Monday now).

Also use the Chrome browser to log the case if you have it; you'll get more success in completing the form, and make sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

Natalia Franco  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:38
English to Spanish
Thank you! Jun 8, 2014

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the swift reply. I've just sent the form!icon_smile.gif

Thanks again.

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Re-installing SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance version

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search