Translating Excel comments in SDL Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: birgitadler
birgitadler
Germany
Local time: 12:27
English to German
Apr 16, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I need to translate some xls-files. These files contain comments which need translation as well. The problem is that some of the comments appear in Trados Editor for translation, some don't. I have enabled the "translate comments" box in Trados (am not sure what it's called in English, sorry), so I don't understand why some comments are shown for translation, others aren't.

Moreover, there is text for translation in the editor which I can't find in the original Excel files. How come?

I normally work with Excel 2010, but have Excel 2003 installed on my computer as well - I re-installed the old version only today, as it says in the Trados help that Excel 2003 needs to be installed on the computer to translate xls-files. But with Excel 2003, Trados won't recognize the file format of my files for translation correctly, and when I try to create a project, it keeps asking me to accept the license agreement for Excel 2003. I tried the "repair" function of Excel 2010 as well (from the original installation CD), but then I have the above-mentioned problem that not all comments are offered for translation in the editor.

I just need to be sure that Trados offers me *exactly* the text of the original Excel files for translation, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Birgit Adler

- Just to update you on this: The problem was with the original file. The problem has now been solved, and it all works fine now!

[Edited at 2013-04-17 19:28 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Excel comments in SDL Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search