Is there Building Block/Quick part type of functionality in Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Jason Daniels
Jason Daniels
Local time: 10:28
Japanese to English
Apr 16, 2013

Hello,

I was wondering if this kind of functionality exists in Trados, and if it hopefully is as easy to use on the fly as it is in Word. If you are not familiar with this in Word, you can highlight something, press Alt+F3, set any desired text string as the alias, then in the text when you want that alias to execute, you simply type the alias you set and F3 once. I use this all the time, and I think using Trados would slow me down if there isn't something similar. I don't want to set up a Termbase where it just has suggestions in that little Termbase window in the Editor, unless it will autopopulate or something similar.

Please help as I would like to make Trados work for me.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jason Daniels
Local time: 10:28
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
just check autosuggest in help... Apr 16, 2013

I was just looking around in Trados help file under Auto Suggest and creating Auto Text entries.
This isn't exactly what I want to do because most of the time I set the alias as a number (patent translation). So for example, if I had test unit 100, I would just set the alias as 100, which is the very end. I just tried this, and I had to completely type the word test, which is four characters, before the Auto Suggest bar appeared. I would definitely prefer the way I am used to in Word because I am likely to have a test unit 100, test unit 200, test unit 200a, test unit 300, etc. in any given job.

In any event, if I have to scroll through entries in the Auto Suggest bar, at least I would like it to pop up after just 'tes' if possible. Also, even for alias names that are not numbers, I usually use some combination of letters that function as a coded symbol for the entire text string, I rarely just used the first three characters or something like that. So here is to hoping I can do something like this in Trados!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there Building Block/Quick part type of functionality in Studio 2011?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search