Thread poster: Jan Kruse

Jan Kruse
Germany
Local time: 05:11
Dutch to German
+ ...
Apr 17, 2013

Hi,
I´ve found some old entries relating to this issue, but no solution. Is there (still) no chance to auto-substitute number formats in Studio 2011?

e.g. (EN) 6,500.20 into (DE) 6.500,20 when using the quick place function or when copy and paste the source segment

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

viking modena  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Problem also with % Apr 17, 2013

Apart from figures, I also had problems with the %.
That is.. I approve a segment with 40 % (blank between), but Studio in 100% matches then puts 50%, 60% and so on. When I tried to change 60% to 60 %, it automatically changed my previous (first approved) 40 % to 40%.

Thanks you as well.
((and "they" say that figures do not need translation == don't want to pay for them))

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:11
English to Hebrew
+ ...
For the measurment units issue try the following Apr 17, 2013

Set the desired behavior under the Measurement Setting of the relevant language pair

From the Right pane choose the spacing that you need to apply.

For the numbers issue I don't have any answer, I thought that Studio "knows" the standard formatting issue based on the target language and applies them automatically (could it be tied to Windows number formatting?). If it does not function as needed, I would suggest to use Regex to replace the number format (I'm sorry that I cannot provide your with the Regex expression right now because I don't know it out of the top of my head and cannot research it at the moment).

((and "they" say that figures do not need translation == don't want to pay for them))

There is no such thing as a content that only needs part translation, Numbers are part of the text (what next? Not counting punctuations and repetitive letters in word/sentence?). Don't let others take advantage of you in that regard. Even if the numbers would not have needed a format change, you as the professional should be the one granting a discount if you find it is appropriate (fair conduct from the translator side is also important), and not because some else decided so. You are the professional, you know your work, so there is no reason to accept such abusive terms that clearly work to one's disadvantage.

[Edited at 2013-04-17 11:48 GMT]

viking modena  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Thanks for the solution! Apr 17, 2013

I've found out your hint and will try to apply it, though it's annoying that you have to do it for every single language pair, and not for e.g. Italian as source language.

As far as payment for figures is concerned, it was a matter with the old Trados, because the word count didn't take loose figures into account.
But I'm the one who wants to get paid also for 100% matches and so on, don't worry!

If they do not want to pay for something, they can simply send an extract!

Regards
Luca

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
There is... Apr 17, 2013

Jan Kruse wrote:

Hi,
I´ve found some old entries relating to this issue, but no solution. Is there (still) no chance to auto-substitute number formats in Studio 2011?

e.g. (EN) 6,500.20 into (DE) 6.500,20 when using the quick place function or when copy and paste the source segment

Thanks in advance

... but your issue may be related to one, or more, of these things:

1. You don't have a TM attached
2. You have attached a TM but number recognition is disabled
3. The source format is not recognised according to here : http://goo.gl/QiWWh

At least Quickplace will work... copy and paste will only paste exactly what you copy without transformation.

So if there is no little blue line under the number then it isn't being recognised and won't auto-substitute... like this:

Regards

Paul

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
It's the target language and... Apr 17, 2013

viking modena wrote:

I've found out your hint and will try to apply it, though it's annoying that you have to do it for every single language pair, and not for e.g. Italian as source language.

As far as payment for figures is concerned, it was a matter with the old Trados, because the word count didn't take loose figures into account.
But I'm the one who wants to get paid also for 100% matches and so on, don't worry!

If they do not want to pay for something, they can simply send an extract!

Regards
Luca

... not the source that is at play here. The measurement settings refer to how the number is handled in the target. It's set at specific language level rather than All Language Pairs so you can have different settings for each language.

Regards

Paul

Jan Kruse
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
global setting Apr 19, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

1. You don't have a TM attached

Paul

Hi Paul,
thanks for the explanation. I didn´t realize that there is no global (or target language) setting as ik was in Trados 2007, wasn´t it? The number substitution does not work with e.g. Dutch source files, although they often use English number formats.
Regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Decimal substitution in Studio 2011

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search