Trados Segmentation rules and reloading/reimporting of files
Thread poster: Darius Daniel Grigoras

Darius Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
Apr 18, 2013

Hello,

I use SDL Trados 2011 and I want to add a new segmentation rule for the carriage return. That is, I want text to be segmented when the carriage return is immediately after a letter or number, i.e. not preceded by space, period or comma.

Here's an illustration of the rules I want to create:

I've read here that in order to segment after a period sign one can use the following Regular Expression: .[\n]+

I couldn't figure out though the RegExes for the others. I know for instance that in MS Word, in order to search for a character, I can use the RegEx: [a-z]. I've tried using [a-z][\n]+ in order to create a new segment when the carriage return is immediately after a letter, but it did not work.

Moreover, is it possible to reload/reimport a document after the project was created? I couldn't find anything about this. In my case, with the file I'm working on I could just replace the carriage breaks with paragraph marks, so reloading it would be useful, as I already translated numerous segments before finding out that the lists for instance are separated by carriage returns instead of paragraph marks.

Furthermore, could I re-segment the file processed and loaded in a project after adding new segmentation rules? I tried re-running from the Batch Tasks the command "Finalize", but I did not see any changes.

[Edited at 2013-04-18 12:56 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:40
French to Polish
+ ...
Counteintuitive, again... Apr 18, 2013

Darius Daniel Grigoras wrote:

(...)

Moreover, is it possible to reload/reimport a document after the project was created?

No.
You can only delete the file and add it again (the way the files can be added to an existing project is counterintuitive and somehow painful).
It may be faster to create a new project, e.g. using a template.
The project templates are one of few incontestably useful Studio functions.

I couldn't find anything about this. In my case, with the file I'm working on I could just replace the carriage breaks with paragraph marks, so reloading it would be useful, as I already translated numerous segments before finding out that the lists for instance are separated by carriage returns instead of paragraph marks.

If I understand you well, you can always pretranslate the file.
Of course, if the segmentation of the translated segments change, you'll have a problem.

Furthermore, could I re-segment the file processed and loaded in a project after adding new segmentation rules?

No.
As above.

I tried re-running from the Batch Tasks the command "Finalize", but I did not see any changes.

The Finalize batch task purpose is to update the main translation memory and to create the target file.
I.e., basically, it will useless here.

BTW, as you are a freelance translator, you should create new project using the "Prepare without project TM" option (again, the name is counterintuitive...).

Cheers
GG

Darius Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Segmentation rules Apr 18, 2013

I really did not expect having to go to the Translation Memories View in order to change or add segmentation rules. I thought that I would find them somewhere under Tools->Options. When I didn't found them there I right-clicked on my project in the Project View, and I was surprised not to find them even there. I think that the New Project Wizard, besides allowing one to specify TMs and TBs, should also enable one to change or add Segmentation Rules, changes and additions which should also be permitted to be entered by simply right-clicking on a project in the Project View, where one should also find tasks such as "Re-segment file(s)" or "Reimport file(s)," also allowing to select which file should be re-segmented or reimported, and whether the translations done be kept somehow or discarded (discarded if maybe they were already safely stored in the TM, that is, if one worked using a TM on that project, and, of course, if they were confirmed; if that's not the case, different solutions should be suggested).

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:40
French to Polish
+ ...
Couterintuitive, revisited... Apr 18, 2013

Darius Daniel Grigoras wrote:

I really did not expect having to go to the Translation Memories View in order to change or add segmentation rules. I thought that I would find them somewhere under Tools->Options. (...)

Yep, exactly.
It's basically there these options are located e.g. in DVX or in memoQ (memoQ uses also project specific settings which overwrite the general settings.

PS
Sorry, I have a hard deadline for tomorrow...

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Segmentation rules and reloading/reimporting of files

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search