Studio 2011 and Java - Endless soap opera!
Thread poster: Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 23:10
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 18, 2013

Basically it goes like this.

Studio works with Java 1.6.0.26 which self installs during first install. Since then endless issues on Java have been found which led to version 1.7.0.21. So, each time i update Java to a new version (Including a new console with different options) Multiterm both a standalone and inside Studio Editor stop working. More precisely, if i try to add a new term i get a variety of security messages. Often i manage to solve the issue while on other occasions i
... See more
Basically it goes like this.

Studio works with Java 1.6.0.26 which self installs during first install. Since then endless issues on Java have been found which led to version 1.7.0.21. So, each time i update Java to a new version (Including a new console with different options) Multiterm both a standalone and inside Studio Editor stop working. More precisely, if i try to add a new term i get a variety of security messages. Often i manage to solve the issue while on other occasions i don't. Today the latter case occurred. I installed my Java update, went on with my translating and at the moment of adding a new term i got a new message saying my security settings were stopping that from happening.

Solution was: uninstall all Java versions (1.6.0.26 and 1.7.0.21 32bit and 64bit) to then relaunch Studio and let it reinstall its beloved Java 1.6.0.26 again. It all worked but it goes alone as soon as i reinstalled the newer Java got the old message.

At that point i had to open the old 1.6.0.26 console (The new version doesn't have that option nor has the same interface), head to the Advanced tab and tick off the "Enable the next generation Java Plug in and it all works again. And this will be the process forever unless SDL decides to make Studio simply compatible with any Java version.

Is it possible to end the saga and let updates happen without (more) disruptions?

Did anyone find any better way to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

E.C.
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:10
Italian to English
In memoriam
Try this Apr 18, 2013

Solution 3 in this KB article seems to work.

HTH

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
doesn't work Apr 18, 2013

Giles Watson wrote:

HTH

No, this stopped working with the latest Java update. Support talked me into lowering the security settings to low (not recommended). Seems to be the only way at the moment.

This cost me the better part of an hour yesterday - so much for higher productivity with SDL software.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Java 7 Update 21 Apr 18, 2013

Hi

I am working already on an update of the KB article #4645.

The workaround for the moment is to open the Java Control Panel ( START > Control Panel > Programs > Java ) and go to the Security tab.

Lower the level to "Medium".

Selecting the "Do not show this again for this app" box and then click on "Run" stops this message from reappearing the next time that you try to edit or add a term.
But this only applies here within one session of
... See more
Hi

The workaround for the moment is to open the Java Control Panel ( START > Control Panel > Programs > Java ) and go to the Security tab.

Selecting the "Do not show this again for this app" box and then click on "Run" stops this message from reappearing the next time that you try to edit or add a term.
But this only applies here within one session of SDL Trados Studio / SDL MultiTerm. After a restart/reopening of SDL MultiTerm or SDL Trados Studio you will again need to confirm the message at least for the first time you want to add/edit a term.

Maybe you are not aware but Oracle changed ones more the security levels and the level "low" and "Custom" is not available anymore.

The development is aware of that and we are working on that so this will be more user-friendly in the sense that you do not receive any message anymore.

Cheers
Richard Puschmann | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with our support? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base here: http://kb.sdl.com
Here you find solutions to known issues and many more....
If you want to keep up-2-date with the latest released articles you can also follow us on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/SDLSupport
Collapse

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No go! Apr 19, 2013

Giles Watson wrote:

HTH

Hi Giles, as explained by SDL before me that won't work. It's an old procedure based on the old Java Contol Panel. That said i have both Control Panels and following the procedure i stated below i can use it without and notification (but because it's using an old version of Java). However, it speeds up the process.

Thanks for the effort though. Deeply appreciated!

Enrico

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It slows down the ADD NEW TERM process. Apr 19, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi

But this only applies here within one session of SDL Trados Studio / SDL MultiTerm. After a restart/reopening of SDL MultiTerm or SDL Trados Studio you will again need to confirm the message at least for the first time you want to add/edit a term.

Maybe you are not aware but Oracle changed ones more the security levels and the level "low" and "Custom" is not available anymore.

The development is aware of that and we are working on that so this will be more user-friendly in the sense that you do not receive any message anymore.

Cheers
Richard Puschmann | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with our support? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base here: http://kb.sdl.com
Here you find solutions to known issues and many more....
If you want to keep up-2-date with the latest released articles you can also follow us on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/SDLSupport

Hi Richard,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the detailed reply. I tried and it works. However, getting that awful RUN message is a time waster. I understand you're aware of the issue and we'll soon get rid of it so no reason to worry.

However, it's worth letting you know (i am sure you all know there) that if you open the old Java Control Panel (Which is present in any PC with Studio as Studio reinstalls it endlessly) you can still go to ADVANCED TAB and deselect the "Enable the next generation Java Plug in". That makes the trick, with no messages of any sort. And it's even quicker, for reasons that are unclear to me. With the new Java adding a term takes long seconds; with the old Java it's quicker on my PC.

Will wait for the update then and will live with it. Once there is a way i am good to go!

Thanks again for the help.

Enrico

Mark Straver
Mark Straver
Sweden
English to Dutch
+ ...
Different scene of the same opera... May 7, 2013

Seems it causes more issues because of the mismatch between the "internal runtime" and the "system runtime" of Java. I'm currently unable to use my translation memories at all because of Studio having no database access module available. Studio 2011 complains that the "Oracle database access module was compiled/assembled with a later version of the runtime than the one currently loaded" -- and I'll be damned if I'm going to install a system version of Java on my main workstation that isn't secur... See more
Seems it causes more issues because of the mismatch between the "internal runtime" and the "system runtime" of Java. I'm currently unable to use my translation memories at all because of Studio having no database access module available. Studio 2011 complains that the "Oracle database access module was compiled/assembled with a later version of the runtime than the one currently loaded" -- and I'll be damned if I'm going to install a system version of Java on my main workstation that isn't secure just to work around Studio 2011's issues.
Outdated java versions are currently the #1 entry point for malware. Getting the recommendation or workaround to install an older version of Java is just bad advice.

Why did SDL decide to use Java in the first place anyway? In general it's slower and more cumbersome to use than what they had before "Studio". If they insist on Java they should make a version of Studio that will use the system-installed version of Java for everything, so people can remain secure and avoid this entire Opera. The licensing fees for it are certainly high enough for a bit of programming maintenance (if even required) for java updates on SDL's behalf.
Collapse

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
When is SDL going to release a patch for this? May 13, 2013

I completely agree with Mark Straver. If SDL is going to use Java (for whatever weird reason) they should at least pay for the signatures instead of having us lower security settings.

Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not sure if my issues are related to this? May 15, 2013

Hi, I recently updated Java, and updated Trados (Studio 2011). I'm on Windows 7 (and I've checked the security settings as described below, the Control Panel options in Win 7 are different, it does not offer the ability to set Java security level to Medium anywhere within the Java settings - maybe I should look elsewhere?)

Since the upgrade(s) I get really annoying messages when I start up Trados asking if I wish to allow Activex controls. If I say yes, it's really slow. If I say no
... See more
Hi, I recently updated Java, and updated Trados (Studio 2011). I'm on Windows 7 (and I've checked the security settings as described below, the Control Panel options in Win 7 are different, it does not offer the ability to set Java security level to Medium anywhere within the Java settings - maybe I should look elsewhere?)

Since the upgrade(s) I get really annoying messages when I start up Trados asking if I wish to allow Activex controls. If I say yes, it's really slow. If I say no, I don't know what I'm missing. I don't know which is the more secure answer.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks!
Collapse

Silvio Picinini
Silvio Picinini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lowering safety does not feel right Jul 16, 2013

Hi Richard from SDL,

I lowered my security to Medium and I am able to add terms, but it feels terribly wrong having to do that as a professional. The comments on this thread were from April, we are now in July. This is very serious, it threats how people make a living, I am sure you are aware of that. Can you tell us when a definitive and safe solution from SDL will be available?
Thanks

Silvio Picinini
Silvio Picinini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Is it safe to use Medium setting? Jul 16, 2013

Dear Richard,
Below is an excerpt from this official java page about security:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/jcp_security.xml
Are we exposed to risks when using the Medium security setting for Java?
Thank you

Security levels in the Java Control Panel

Very High
This is the most restrictive security level setting. All unsi
... See more
Dear Richard,
Below is an excerpt from this official java page about security:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/jcp_security.xml
Are we exposed to risks when using the Medium security setting for Java?
Thank you

Security levels in the Java Control Panel

Very High
This is the most restrictive security level setting. All unsigned and self signed applets and applications are blocked and will not run. Only apps that have an associated certificate from a trusted authority will run after presenting a prompt.

High
This is the minimum recommended (and default) security setting. Unsigned and self-signed sandbox (limited access) apps will not run on old or expired Java versions. All applets will present a security prompt before they can be run.

Medium
All applets can be run only after a security prompt is presented. Selecting the Medium security level is not recommended and will make your computer more vulnerable should you run a malicious application.
Collapse

hrvatski (X)
hrvatski (X)  Identity Verified
Croatian to French
+ ...
High level Oct 4, 2013

Dear Richard,

Now you can run with high level, without problem.

"This cumulative update installs digitally signed Java components required for full support of Java 7 update 25 and later in SDL Trados Studio 2014. After installing this update, you will no longer have to reduce the Java security level to Medium to be able to edit terminology in SDL Trados Studio. Instead you can use the High setting. Note: SDL Trados Studio does not support the Very High security s
... See more
Dear Richard,

Now you can run with high level, without problem.

"This cumulative update installs digitally signed Java components required for full support of Java 7 update 25 and later in SDL Trados Studio 2014. After installing this update, you will no longer have to reduce the Java security level to Medium to be able to edit terminology in SDL Trados Studio. Instead you can use the High setting. Note: SDL Trados Studio does not support the Very High security setting in Java 7."

(http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4536).

Best regards.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 and Java - Endless soap opera!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »