Help: SDXLIFF Converter for MS Office not updating SDLXIFF files
Thread poster: David Jessop

David Jessop  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 22, 2013

Hello...

I have just started using the SDLXIFF converter for MS Office.

I created an SDLXIFF file in Studio 2009 SP3. Then I converted it into DOCX format using the Converter. Then I made some changes and translated the untranslated segments. So far, so good.

I had my problem when I attempted to import it back into the SDLXIFF file. I think I followed all the instructions:

1) I clicked on Add and selected the original SDLXIFF file.
2) I clicked on "..." and chose the updated DOCX file that was generated by the Converter.
3) I clicked on "Import" and after a couple seconds a pop up window appeared that said "Conversion finished."
4) I exited the Converter.

While the SDLXIFF file appeared modified when looking in Windows Explorer, the target segments were not changed. I first looked in the Studio editor and then actually opened the SDLXIFF file with a text editor and verified that the target segments were not updated.

I downloaded and installed OpenXMLSDKv2.msi (approx. 4 MB) before running the Converter so I don't believe this is an issue.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? How can this be solved?

By the way, I am running Windows 7 32 bit. Not sure if this is relevant.

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

[Edited at 2013-04-22 10:44 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:16
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Word version? Apr 22, 2013

Which version of Word are you using.

a) There might be a problem if you use Word 2003 with the DOCX converter.
b) Make sure to close Word before running the back conversion and make sure that there is no ghost instance of Word running in your system.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not it... Apr 22, 2013

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

Which version of Word are you using.

a) There might be a problem if you use Word 2003 with the DOCX converter.
b) Make sure to close Word before running the back conversion and make sure that there is no ghost instance of Word running in your system.

Thanks for trying Siegfried but:

A) I am using Word 2007 SP3.
B) There is no ghost instance as I restarted the computer before trying (I tried several times).

Any other ideas?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi David Apr 22, 2013

The most common problem with updating is that the edited file has been placed in a different location or renamed.

Just replace the exported for review file by the edited one in exactly the same folder, and then perform the importing. This should help.

Natalia

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: repetition

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another issue... Apr 22, 2013

Natalie wrote:

The most common problem with updating is that the edited file has been placed in a different location or renamed.

Just replace the exported for review file by the edited one in exactly the same folder, and then perform the importing. This should help.

Natalia

I was pretty sure they were but just now I tried to go through the process with another sample file. This time I was not even able to complete the conversion back to the SDLXIFF. When I tried to convert the Word file back, I received the following error: "Multiple paragraphs in segment #7." And it refuses to convert the file...

Do other people find this program incredibly buggy or is it just my bad luck?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe because you took across... Apr 22, 2013

... untranslated segments? This is a review tool and not a translation tool. So if you wish to translate the file in this environment then make sure that none of the segments are empty before exporting.

Maybe this is the reason?

Regards

Paul

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 22, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... untranslated segments? This is a review tool and not a translation tool. So if you wish to translate the file in this environment then make sure that none of the segments are empty before exporting.

Maybe this is the reason?

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul! That solved the problem.

David

United Kingdom
English
Also... Apr 22, 2013

... the OpenExchange pages should all be working again now. Many apologies for the problems. We have been migrating many things across the company over the last month or so and have experienced a few knock on effects in places that came as a surprise!

Regards

Paul

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite... Apr 22, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... the OpenExchange pages should all be working again now. Many apologies for the problems. We have been migrating many things across the company over the last month or so and have experienced a few knock on effects in places that came as a surprise!

Regards

Paul

You can get to the main page now but there's a Page Not Found when I try to log in with my account (required to download files I believe).

I can send you a screenshot if you want.

David

United Kingdom
English
Can you try... Apr 22, 2013

... clearing your cache? I have done this and have no issues with MSIE, FF, WF, or Chrome tested on my wifes machine at home as well as my work laptop.

Hopefully this is all the problem is now?

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: SDXLIFF Converter for MS Office not updating SDLXIFF files

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search