Thread poster: Stefan Blommaert

Stefan Blommaert  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:54
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 22, 2013

I am reviewing a file (about 10k words) in Studio 2011 and it is almost impossible; Studio reacts more than sluggishly and typed letters appear one by one. At this speed I am going to need an absolute eternity to finish this job, besides the fact that it is more than irritating.

Has anybody experienced this and, if yes, is there a remedy? I cannot give any more information, as this is the first time that I see this happening, and I do not know which factors - if any - play a role in this. I have restarted my machine and have run a boot virus scan. No positive result, no difference whatsoever.

Many thanks in advance.

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:54
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Do you use MSE or Windows Defender on Windows 8 as your antivirus? Apr 22, 2013

If so you might need to exclude Studio 2011 from the processes monitored by MSE. At least a short while back this was an issue, and I'm not sure if it has been addressed in recent updates.

If the above doesn't work, for testing purposes I suggest turning off Autosuggest, Term Recognition, Preview and see if it makes any difference.

I would also recommend to make sure that the version of Studio that you are using is up to date: SP2R and latest build. Although sometimes new builds introduce some new issues, overall I still believe that it advisable to use a recent build over a very old one (unless specific issues are widely known in a specific newer build).

[Edited at 2013-04-22 20:35 GMT]

Brazil
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some more info Apr 23, 2013

I use W7 (64b), my antivirus is Bitdefender, I switched off the Autosuggest, Term recognition, Preview was already switched off.
SP2 is installed.
I defragmented the disk and ran another boot-scan.

Closing/saving the file (10kwords) takes about 20 minutes!!!

Nothing works; this morning it is even slower than it was yesterday...extremely irritating...

[Edited at 2013-04-23 05:58 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:54
English
Have you tried adding Studio... Apr 23, 2013

... to your list of exceptions for Bitdefender? Maybe you had an automatic update of your AV software or something like this that has caused this to happen where it has been ok in the past? This article may help:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4437&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Regards

Paul

Brazil
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Switched off Apr 23, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... to your list of exceptions for Bitdefender? Maybe you had an automatic update of your AV software or something like this that has caused this to happen where it has been ok in the past? This article may help:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4437&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Regards

Paul

I switched the AV off temporarily; same result...

Even closing Trados takes ages;about 20 minutes to save and close.

Brazil
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Apr 23, 2013

The problem got worse and worse and now Trados is frozen. I broke off the process and restarted the program, after which it almost immediately froze again.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
ok... if you have ... Apr 23, 2013

... a support contract please log a case. Otherwise use the Solution Finder like this. Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- The installation went fine, but now I get an error message when opening or using the program.
-- The error occurs in SDL Trados Studio 2011

Then complete all the fields in the form making sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

Then we can take a proper look at this problem.

Regards

Paul

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
File type? Apr 23, 2013

Shai Nave wrote:

If the above doesn't work, for testing purposes I suggest turning off Autosuggest, Term Recognition, Preview and see if it makes any difference.

At the last instance, stop to type at all, you will not notice it's slow icon_smile.gif

Sorry, I could not resist...
BTW, these functions should have no impact on the saving speed....

Stefan Blommaert wrote:

I use W7 (64b), my antivirus is Bitdefender, I switched off the Autosuggest, Term recognition, Preview was already switched off.
SP2 is installed.
I defragmented the disk and ran another boot-scan.

Closing/saving the file (10kwords) takes about 20 minutes!!!

What's your file type?
Studio may be painfully slow for some file types, especially if working on a network drive.

Cheers
GG

Brazil
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File type Apr 23, 2013

file type is sdlxliff...Trados slow in dealing with its own file type??? Yes, I am probably very demanding!

I have in the meantime switched to reviewing in Word with track changes activated. At least that works...

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother Apr 23, 2013

...posting on these forums and trying to help.
At the last instance, stop to type at all, you will not notice it's slow

That is not what I meant, as I'm sure you know perfectly well, and you might have missed the "for testing purposes" part of the sentence. This is a very valid basic troubleshooting suggestion and I don't see your point.

In the first post, to which the reply that you have quoted is an answer to, there was no mention of the slow saving time. Therefore, it is, yet again, a very valid suggestion given the information that was available at that point.

Brazil
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Completely agree Apr 23, 2013

Shai Nave wrote:

That is not what I meant, as I'm sure you know perfectly well, and you might have missed the "for testing purposes" part of the sentence. This is a very valid basic troubleshooting suggestion and I don't see your point.

In the first post, to which the reply that you have quoted is an answer to, there was no mention of the slow saving time. Therefore, it is, yet again, a very valid suggestion given the information that was available at that point.

When testing, one should proceed step by step and your hints were most definitely useful, even if only to rule out certain things.

French to Polish
+ ...
XML structure Apr 23, 2013

Stefan Blommaert wrote:

file type is sdlxliff...Trados slow in dealing with its own file type???

Maybe I was not clair enough.
I was thinking about the source file type.
E.g. the file operations for SDLXLIFF files generated from some TTX, XHTML and (generally) XML files may be extremely slow.
The remedy is different depending of the file type but generally the problem is the structure validation (for these X-files) or the structure info generation (TTX).

Yes, I am probably very demanding!

I have in the meantime switched to reviewing in Word with track changes activated. At least that works...

You're at the review stage?
I fear you can't do nothing now, these workarounds work if enabled at the project creation stage (one must change some file type options).

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-04-23 11:44 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
No pun intended... Apr 23, 2013

Shai Nave wrote:

No personal pun intended.
Simply, very recently, a well known Trados guru wrote here Studio is getting very fast for large files if one disables TMs.
So, I really could not resist... icon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-04-23 11:44 GMT]

Jean-Paul Salaün  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:54
English to French
Studio 2011 more than slow Apr 23, 2013

try to exclude SDLTradosStudio.exe from the processes in the settings of your antirirus. You do not have to disable it.
I had the same problem earlier with files (about 2 mo) extracted form Tag editor which take about 20 minutes to save if they save.
after the exclusion of SDLTradosStudio.exe from the processes of MSE it takes now about 10 seconds

Johan Bouman  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Excluding from MSE worked for me Aug 2, 2013

I had the same problem with a 60,000 wrd translation - after excluding that .exe file from the processes in MS Security Essentials, saving and editing is now reasonably fast (on my 5 year old laptop) - so thanks!

[Edited at 2013-08-02 06:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 more than slow...

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search