can´t see documents of project
Thread poster: msusperregi
Apr 24, 2013

hello,
I'm new with SDL Trados 2011...

yesterday I added 3 documents to a project, I translated them. Today when I open the project there are not the documents. But the documents are fisically in the project folders, but I can´t see them from SDL.

help, please!

[Edited at 2013-04-24 12:03 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:19
English
Can you perhaps... Apr 24, 2013

... share a little more information about what you did... step by step? It sounds as though you have perhaps created a Project and then used "Open Document" to translate the files individually? Just guessing really, but if you did this then you will have created four projects in total. One for the three files you prepared, and then three single file projects every time you used "Open Document".

If this is the case then look in your Projects View and see if there are three new single file projects in there. If they are then double click each one in turn and you'll be taken to the files for each one.

Another thing you could try is to look in the target language folder of the Project you created and if you find three files in there with the extension sdlxliff just double click each one and see if they are already translated or not. If not then my first explanation might be the problem... if they are then go back to the Projects view, find the Project you originally created, double click it and the three files must be there.

Maybe this will help... but certainly I think we need a little more to go on.

If all else fails you presumably saved the translations to your TM and can pretranslate the files again anyway?

Regards

Paul

msusperregi
TOPIC STARTER
can´t see documents of project Apr 25, 2013

[quote]SDL Support wrote:

... share a little more information about what you did... step by step? It sounds as though you have perhaps created a Project and then used "Open Document" to translate the files individually? Just guessing really, but if you did this then you will have created four projects in total. One for the three files you prepared, and then three single file projects every time you used "Open Document".

1-. I created a project with 1 file (f1) (2013/04/11, computer A)
2-. userA loaded 3 files to the project (2013/04/23, computer B)
3-. translatorB worked with then (2013/04/23, computer C)
4-. translatorB turned off computerC
5-. 2013/04/24 computer B can see the files from SDL project, computer A and computer C can't see them.

-. we have not use "open document", we have one project folder.
-. there are 8 files at source languaje folder.
-. there are 4 files at target languaje folder.

If this is the case then look in your Projects View and see if there are three new single file projects in there. If they are then double click each one in turn and you'll be taken to the files for each one.

Another thing you could try is to look in the target language folder of the Project you created and if you find three files in there with the extension sdlxliff just double click each one and see if they are already translated or not. If not then my first explanation might be the problem... if they are then go back to the Projects view, find the Project you originally created, double click it and the three files must be there.

-. they are translated. I open the project (double clicking) but there is only the file I loaded when I created the project (2013/04/11)

Maybe this will help... but certainly I think we need a little more to go on.

If all else fails you presumably saved the translations to your TM and can pretranslate the files again anyway?

-. yes, I can do this, but the problem happens very often and this is not a good solution...

thank you

Mari

[Edited at 2013-04-25 05:39 GMT]

ErikAnderson3
Local time: 11:19
More detail needed Apr 28, 2013

@Mari, it would be very helpful if you could be even more specific -- resolving issues usually comes down to individual commands.

[quote]1-. I created a project with 1 file (f1) (2013/04/11, computer A)[quote]

How did you create the project? Did you click File > New Project and follow the New Project wizard?

2-. userA loaded 3 files to the project (2013/04/23, computer B)

How, specifically, did User A load the files into the project? And what do you mean, specifically, by "load"?

The best way to add files to an existing project is from the Files view in Studio. First use the drop-down list on the upper left to switch to the source language view, then click File > Add Files or File > Add Folders, or alternately right-click on the big area on the upper right where the files are listed and select Add Files or Add Folders from the context menu, or drag-and-drop the new files and/or folders from Windows Explorer onto this part of Studio's window.

Once the files are added to the source side, select the new files, and either click File > Batch Tasks > Prepare, or right-click the files and select Batch Tasks > Prepare from the context menu. Configure anything as needed in the Batch Processing dialog.

"Loading" files into a project by some other means will probably not produce the expected results. I suspect that this is what has happened to your project.

3-. translatorB worked with then (2013/04/23, computer C)

How do you mean "worked with" the files? Did Translator B open the files from with Studio's Files view, when looking at the target language files? Or did Translator B open the files by clicking File > Open > Document? Or by double-clicking an SDLXLIFF file?

4-. translatorB turned off computerC
5-. 2013/04/24 computer B can see the files from SDL project, computer A and computer C can't see them.

Computer B was the computer that User A was using when they "loaded" the files into the project. I suspect that User A did not add the files to the project in the correct way, and consequently, the files are not really part of the project.

Another possibility is that User A did not send the correct files and folders to Translator B. In the office I work with, we first create projects, then zip up the whole Studio project folder and send that to the translator. If we have to add files to a project after the project was first created, we follow the steps I described above, and then re-zip the whole project folder and send that again to the translator.

Even if you add files to a project correctly, that just means that the files are in the project *on that computer*. Adding files to a project is a *local* operation -- anyone else that previously received the same project will not see the new files.

-. we have not use "open document", we have one project folder.
-. there are 8 files at source languaje folder.
-. there are 4 files at target languaje folder.

Where is the project folder that you are looking at? Is it on Computer B? If so, what files did Translator B receive on Computer C? And when did Translator B receive them?

Some of how Studio works, and some of how users need to operate with Studio, is not exactly intuitive. I hope the above questions help you figure out what has happened, and how to fix the situation.

Good luck!

-- Erik Anderson

msusperregi
TOPIC STARTER
can´t see documents of project Apr 29, 2013

hello @Erik
How, specifically, did User A load the files into the project? And what do you mean, specifically, by "load"?

this is the way we use:
-. Go to files view of the project in SDL studio
-. choose the source languaje
-. right click -> add files

this are the batch tasks:
-. choose all new files, right click Batch tasks , Custom ->
Convert to translatable Format
Word Cound
Copy to Target Languages
Analyze Files
Translation Count

How do you mean "worked with" the files? Did Translator B open the files from with Studio's Files view, when looking at the target language files? Or did Translator B open the files by clicking File > Open > Document? Or by double-clicking an SDLXLIFF file?

This is the way we use for translate:
-. open SDL Trados Studio program
-. open project
-. choose the target languaje
-. choose the file to translate, right click
-. Open for translation

Where is the project folder that you are looking at? Is it on Computer B? If so, what files did Translator B receive on Computer C? And when did Translator B receive them?

the project folder "proj_folder" is in COMPUTER X, "translation_projects" shared folder:
\\COMPUTERx\translation_projects\clientname\proj_folder

we don't send projects or documents to each other, we open the same project...

Isn´t it the correct way to work?

thank you, very much
Mari

[Edited at 2013-04-29 10:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-29 10:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-29 10:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-29 10:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-30 05:28 GMT]

ErikAnderson3
Local time: 11:19
Aha -- on shared drives, file permissions are a common source of confusion. Apr 29, 2013

Thank you for the details, Mari.

the project folder "proj_folder" is in COMPUTER X, "translation_projects" shared folder:
\\COMPUTERx\translation_projects\clientname\proj_folder

we don't send projects or documents to each other, we open the same project...

Aha, a shared network drive. That's another way of doing things. That could work just fine with small teams. With large groups, we've found that it's best for people to first copy the project folder to their own hard drive -- this avoids any chance of two people trying to work on the same project at the same time.

That said, one common problem with network shares is file permissions. This is at the OS level, and is not part of how Studio functions. It is possible that Translator B might have different file access permissions than you or User A, and this might be part of why files have "disappeared" when viewed from Translator B logged into Computer C, but those same files are still visible when viewed from another user logged into Computer B.

Note that, depending on your network configuration, file visibility probably depends on the user logged into a computer. To test this, if you or User A log into Computer C, can you see the files that Translator B cannot see? If Translator B logs into Computer B, are the "missing" files still missing?

Check the file permissions of one of the files that Translator B cannot see, and compare these with the permissions of one of the files that Translator B can see. Are the permissions different?

(To check file permissions, right-click on a file in Windows Explorer and choose Properties from the context menu. Then select the Security tab to see the list of Group or user names at the top. Translator B, or a group that Translator B belongs to, should be listed. If Translator B or the correct group are missing, that would explain why that user cannot see that file. If needed, click the Edit button and add Translator B or the correct group to the permissions for that file.)

Hope this helps,

-- Erik Anderson

msusperregi
TOPIC STARTER
can´t see documents of project Apr 30, 2013

good morning @Erik,

there are 15 translators in our group, is this a big team?

• Check the file permissions of one of the files that Translator B cannot see, and compare these with the permissions of one of the files that Translator B can see. Are the permissions different?

• I checked what you said, but both files have the same permissions. And translator A and translator B belongs to the same group.
    Both translators can see the files from OS level, but they see different files from the file view of SDL Trados Studio.

What do you mean when you say this?
  • With large groups, we've found that it's best for people to first copy the project folder to their own hard drive -- this avoids any chance of two people trying to work on the same project at the same time.

• Is this the way you mean?

-. each translator have to copy all the file for translate?
    -. when the translation is finished, move the .sdlxliff file to the target folder of the network project?

I thought that SDL trados projects can be used in group... there is no possibility for using the same documents for two translator, but different files from the same project?
    I want to believe that!

thank you very much!
    best regards
    Mari

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can´t see documents of project

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
    Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
    LSP.expert
    You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
    • All of ProZ.com
    • Term search
    • Jobs
    • Forums
    • Multiple search