David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:05
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2013

Hi all,

I've been using a combination of Trados 2007 and 2009 Studio for the last few years but have had to upgrade my computer. The new one comes with Windows 8 and when I try to install any of these two versions, I'm told "This app can't run on your PC".

I realise that upgrading to Trados 2011 might solve the issue (although not guaranteed), but believe it or not, some clients still prefer me to work in 2007. In all honesty, I'm also reluctant to pay the upgrade cost as I only translate part-time and have had so many time-consuming and costly glitches in Trados!

Has anyone successfully installed any of these two versions on Windows 8?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:05
English to French
+ ...
Compatibility Apr 25, 2013

Hi David,

Studio 2011 is running fine under Windows 8 64-bit Pro. Don't know about 2007/9 but have you tried to right-click on the executables -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Check the box Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP3), might do the trick.

Right-click again on the .exe and Run as Administrator.

HTH

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-04-25 18:06 GMT]

felicij  Identity Verified
German to Slovenian
+ ...
I think it doesn't work Apr 25, 2013

and I believe you when you say that some clients want (demand) unclean files which can only be made with Trados 2007. I have similar unreasonable requests... I still kept the old computer fully functional and if I get a project that requires 2007, I simply use the old comp.

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:05
English to Hebrew
+ ...
They should work Apr 25, 2013

I have Trados 2007 running on Windows 8, and although I'm not sure about Studio 2009, I don't see any reason why it should not work.

Can you please elaborate a little on how you tried to install them (By the way, you are referring to a "standard" Desktop/Laptop PC and not to the Surface, right)?
If you tried to do that from the Desktop (as the desktop of the operation system), I suggest that you try Bernard's suggestion first.
If it doesn't help you would might want to check the SmartScreen setting of the OS. For testing purposes try to disable it for example, but before that, it is possible that the installer files are corrupt. I suggest downloading them again from you SDL account.

[Edited at 2013-04-25 21:45 GMT]

Julia Kliem Gesteira Costa
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados 2007 on Windows 8? May 20, 2013

Dear all.

I am having problems in installing trados 2007 freelancer in windows 7 (trados 2009 works ok). During the installation procedure the windows installer screen apears (Windows ® Installer. V 5.0.9200.16384) and the installation program indicates an error.

I have tried several solutions (installing as administrator, compatibility mode, fresh downloads from sdl) with no success. Does anyone had a similar problem?

best regards,

Julia

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:05
English to Hebrew
+ ...
It would help if you will write the exact error code and message May 20, 2013

Hi Julia,
I would help if you provide as much details as possible about the error, mainly the error code and message.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 & 2009 on Windows 8?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search