Thread poster: Ben Engel
Ben Engel
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2013

Hi folks

I am having major problems with Trados Studio 2011.

Earlier tonight I downloaded a translation memory sent to me by a client, and a translatable file.

I opened the translatable file, with the TM open, but in the Editor view, it came up with "No translation memories open", and I couldn't find how to add the TM to the project.

Having translated what I was supposed to with no assistance at all from Trados (other than to replicate identical segments), I created a new project. In the "add files" dialogue box, I was careful to add both the TM and the translatable file. When I created the project, in the Files view, only the TM appears!

What I am TRYING to do is to open the translatable file with the TM open so that as I validate the translations it will update, and I can send a package including an updated TM to the client tomorrow morning. What I am ACTUALLY doing is going round and round in circles, and tearing my hair out. This is only one of several problems I am having with Trados, but in light of the current situation, it is the only one I urgently need help on. The client is expecting a package with an updated TM, and I can't find any way to generate such a package!

Any help massively appreciated.
Ben

Direct link Reply with quote

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:38
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SDL glithces Apr 25, 2013

Hi Ben,

One month ago I had some serious problems with a client due to technical glitches with Trados. It's not the same as yours. After countless times asking for assistance I decided to remove trados from my computer and install it again. The problem was resolved.

Paulinho

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:38
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Don't work with individual files, work with projects Apr 25, 2013

In Studio it is highly recommended (I cannot stress this enough) to work with projects and not individual files.
Project contains all the relevant files that you need to work with, and is the most reliable way to go about things in Studio.
Therefore I suggest that you go to File > New > Project and complete the New Project wizard that appears (it is self-explanatory).
Then you can add your already translated file and through batch tasks (accessible through right clicking the file) update the TM; or open the TM in the Translation Memory view (lower left pane) > Import > and select the sdlxliff bilingual file that you have translated and want to update the TM with.

As far as I know, in order to create a return package one has to get a Studio package to begin with. With the freelancer (or whatever it is called; I'm referring to the version the most individual translation are using) it is not possible to create packages (I'm fairly certain but not 100% sure), with the exception of a return package for a project that was created using a Studio package that was sent to you by whoever you work with.
If you do work on a Studio package, you can create a return package from the Project menu. If you don't, you will just have to Zip (as in the archive format) the project folder and sent it that way.

[Edited at 2013-04-25 21:27 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding pre-existing files to new project

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search