Thread poster: Yaotl Altan

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:46
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 26, 2013

I have another problem, colleagues. I can't open the file I was translating.

I was trying to save a term (Ctrl + F2) while translating, but Trados crashed: it generated a window with a message stating something like "SystemOutOfMemory" and it was impossible to see again the segments I was translating, so my decision was to close the file. Before closing, I wanted to save it but I couldn't neither.... I had to close it without saving and lose some hours of workicon_frown.gif

I restarted Trados to open my file again but got this message:

"Unexpected error when detecting the type of file :"C:\yaotl\....xls.sdlxliff": unexpected end of file. The following elements are not closed: internal-file, reference, header, file, xliff. Line 3052, position 1".

I notice that last time the file was today, April 25th at 21:35, more or less 30 minutes before I started writing this message, so I suppose it is possible to recover my file

What can I do? Thank you!

[Modifié le 2013-04-26 04:27 GMT]

Andrew Liashenko

Local time: 01:46
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Try to go another way Apr 26, 2013

If you're doing that with Trados then you have a translation memory running. It saves every time you're punching ctrl+enter.

What I'm suggesting is to forget the file you're translating. Generate a new roject with the same translation memory selected. So when you'll open the document you're tanslating, you can have your translations back from the translation memory file not the document file

564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:46
Danish to English
+ ...
Reboot computer? Apr 26, 2013

Sometimes when I work with very 'heavy' documents in Trados, i.e. files with a lot of graphics, the program will first get very slow and uncooperative, then crash and come up with a 'System Out of Memory' message. So far, it has been sufficient to reboot my computer, which of course restarts not only Trados, but also Microsoft Office, which I think may be part of the problem (i.e. it's the Word memory that is overloaded, not Trados'). Any translation carried out before the crash is saved in the TM, so it's just a question of going back to the place in the text where segments are shown as translated and then clicking through the rest of the segments, accepting 100 % matches from the TM.

You may already have tried this, just thought I'd suggest this option.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
I just had the same problem Aug 21, 2013

Did you find a solution to this besides redoing the project?
Eileen

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:46
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Aug 21, 2013

No, Eileen. I had to restart the project.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Thanks anyway for answering Aug 21, 2013

I have an SDL support contract and logged a report. When I get an answer I'll let you know.
Eileen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error - Unexpected end of file

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search