Thread poster: Will Tonini
Will Tonini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:45
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
Apr 26, 2013

Hello,

One of my clients sent me a .rtf file that I couldn't open in SDL Trados 2011 (I only have the trial version installed), and I had to spent quite some time figuring out how to open it (easy: open it with Word, save it as .docx and open the .docx in Trados 2011). But I'm concerned that future projects may come from clients that still have 2007/2009(?) versions and I may run into issues if I only have the 2011 version.

I'm about to join the current Trados group buy, but since I'm new to Trados (been using Memsource). There are different packages being offered, and I'm planning to go with the "SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance Plus + SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance + SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on Plus + SDL Certification - SDL Trados Studio 2011: Getting Started for Translators" for US$ 640.

Other packages without SDL 2007 offer "SDL QuickStart" and/or "SDL Certification Exam", and I'm a little confused. Is it worth buying SDL 2007 (without quickstart guide and/or cert exam), or buying SDL 2011 with quickstart guide and cert exam?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:45
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I think that you shouldn't Apr 26, 2013

In my opinion you should not invest in Trados 2007, unless the Trados 2007 component of the package is (very) negligible in price. The main reason for that is that Trados 2007 is no longer supported by SDL, and there is no real sense investing in a tool that is already discontinued.

Studio 2011 supports TTX which is the main proprietary format of Trados 2007, so you would be able to work with this file type. The only thing that it doesn't support is bilingual Word files that were produced by Trados 2007 Word plug-in, that you shouldn't work with to begin with because that is not the most reliable way to process documents in Trados.

As far as the certification goes, it only matters if you plan to take the certification exam. If not, or if unsure, don't invest in it. In case you would change your mind later, you could always purchase it separately.

Also, there are other translation environment tools in the market, so before buying one you might want to check around a little and see what best fits your needs, preferences and budget.
For example, OmegaT (Open Source) is available for free (although, if you become a user you may want to consider donating to the project down the road).
However, there are more variables to choosing such a tool than just price, to shortlisting some candidates and testing them before settling for one is always a good idea.

[Edited at 2013-04-26 16:45 GMT]

United States
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
The only reason I'm looking into SDL Trados... Apr 26, 2013

... is that many job postings in translation websites specify that translator must have SDL Trados. Thanks for OmegaT, I'll look into it.

I've been using Memsource and it is really good (and free), but it's more of understanding what tool clients wants translators to use.

Thanks

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
I doubt SDL even sells SDL TRADOS 2007 any longer ... Apr 26, 2013

How could they sell a software package they no longer suppport?

I have a demo of TRADOS 2007 somewhere in an old PC. I have no problem on sharing it with you, just e-mail me. Of course, it would only be useful for producing/checking TTX as TM size is limited to 100 TUs.

Shai Nave is quite right. It seems that you are making a huge investment in TRADOS without trying suitable alternatives . The very smart Cafetran only costs EUR 80 and you can even split that cost with a friend, as their license is for 2 PCs.

United States
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Well, that's something that surprised me too... Apr 26, 2013

... when I saw it in one of the packages being offered in the TGB. I could go perfectly for the 2011 version, but I'm concerned with compatibility issues.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:45
English
Versions of 2007 Apr 26, 2013

Hi,

SDL no longer support Trados 2007 but they do support Trados 2007 Suite which is the version available in the package deal mentioned.

In my opinion, if you think you will be getting a lot of legacy work then its worth having both versions.

Regards

Paul

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:45
English to French
+ ...
2007 Suite Apr 26, 2013

Hi,

Somehow, you're wrong, SDL still supports the Trados 2007 Suite - subtle difference as it includes, SDLX, etc. - including Trados 2007. I agree with the other posters, can't see the point of using an obsolete tool (tag soup, etc.) and 2011 handles such files seamlessly as far as I can see.

Forgot to mention that quite a number OpenExchange Apps let you handle legacy applications.

You should also download various trial versions available from other CAT tool vendors and see which of them suit best your workflow.

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-04-26 21:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-26 21:31 GMT]

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:45
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You should choose a tool based on its merits Apr 27, 2013

Wtt1971 wrote:
... is that many job postings in translation websites specify that translator must have SDL Trados.
....but it's more of understanding what tool clients wants translators to use.

This is actually a gateway for a much more deep and profound discussion about what it means to be an independent, self-employed translator and the appropriate mindset that one must adopt, the state of the marketplace with its abusive practices and much more.

The bottom line is that you need to choose a tool by its merits and not because someone tells you to use it. I'm only scratching the surface here, but I can tell you that if you want to advance your career as a translator, focusing on the various bidding platforms (the ones on which someone is posting a job and wait for replies from interesting parties) is not the way to go. It might have some value if you are inexperienced and/or just starting out as it will allow you to get some experience, usually on the expense on charging proper rates and while yielding to ridiculous, sometimes abusive, terms and conditions, but it gets old rather quickly if you value your work and yourself. Furthermore, if you are indeed still inexperienced or early in your career, there is even less reason to invest in an expensive tool just because you hear its name floating around. Most tools are acceptably interoperable with each other via use of standard file formats such as TMX, so with a little importing and exporting, and to lesser degree with a friendly hand from a colleague or a project manager in case you encountered a compatibility problem, you should be Okay. Then, after gaining more experience and understanding the market better, you would be able to reach an educated decision about which tool is best for you and if it is worth the investment.

Note: This is by no mean a recommendation to avoid SDL Studio. Overall, SDL Studio is a good tool (no tool is perfect, and therefore personal preferences and needs play a big part in the decision) and a valid option without a doubt. I'm just saying that you should not rush into buying something without understanding why or if it is the best option for you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I buy SDL Trados 2007? (TGB)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search