TRADOS 2011: How to work with .ttx format?
Thread poster: Apoc
Apoc
English to Romanian
Apr 27, 2013

I need help understanding TRADOS 2011. I can't find a tutorial explaining how to work with .ttx format. For example, what happens with all the tags? I can't copy all the source segments into that target segments, it would make the work a lot longer. There has to be an option, right? Please help! It's kind of urgent! Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:25
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"TRADOS 2011: How to work with .ttx format? Apr 27, 2013

Hi there,

I've been copying source to target and as you said takes a long time.

I also have the same doubt.

Hope you can find an answer and so can I.

Paulinho

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:25
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
blog post on transferring tags Apr 27, 2013

Paul Filkin explains lots of ways to transfer tags here:
http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/09/10/working_with_tags/

Apoc
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the input! Apr 27, 2013

Thank you very much, i'll check out the said blog! Than you for taking the time to answer. Als, maybe a dumb question, but..i don't have MultiTerm installed, do i really need it when translating? so far, i never used it in Trados 2007, so i was just wondering if it's that necessary

xxxtrhanslator
NO Multiterm needed Apr 27, 2013

Apoc wrote:

Thank you very much, i'll check out the said blog! Than you for taking the time to answer. Als, maybe a dumb question, but..i don't have MultiTerm installed, do i really need it when translating? so far, i never used it in Trados 2007, so i was just wondering if it's that necessary

I don't use it either. You can work with Studio without using a termbase.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:25
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Why bother learning how to use MultiTerm? Apr 28, 2013

Apoc wrote:

i don't have MultiTerm installed, do i really need it when translating? so far, i never used it in Trados 2007, so i was just wondering if it's that necessary

MultiTerm is for creating and managing glossaries. If you think your workflow would benefit from having your own glossary (or client's glossaries) interacting with the translation you're doing (terms from your glossary are highlighted in the Editor window in Studio), then, yes, it's very useful. MultiTerm comes packaged with Studio when you buy it, so it's not an added expense.

You can easily convert an Excel glossary to a MultiTerm termbase to use it with Studio.

More details in Jayne Fox's blog post called "Why bother learning how to use MultiTerm?":
http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/why-bother-learning-to-use-multiterm/

Apoc
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Apr 28, 2013

thank you! i will check out the blog!

J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 00:25
German to English
+ ...
Thanks - and yes, MultiTerm is worthwhile Apr 28, 2013

Thanks for sharing my blog post, Emma! And yes, I find MultiTerm very worthwhile. Being able to keep track of terms is one of the best things about a CAT tool like Studio - and you need MultiTerm to do this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS 2011: How to work with .ttx format?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search