Can't decide whether to buy Studio 2011, or which version
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2013

For years now I've been using Studio 2009 and Trados 2007 (with Tag Editor only, since Word 2010 hates Workbench), and think they're great, apart from various episodes of opening refusals and the "Instance of a something or other not recognised as an object" messages, both of which I have learned to solve by occasionally deleting xml. files.

I like the idea of a kind of additional all-in package which I could use as an alternative, but I'm not sure if that is the case with Studio 2011.

I have 3 questions:

1. Which one to buy? There must be two or three versions of 2011 at least. Don't understand the distinction between the "pluses" and "starters".

2. At least one of the options says "Trados 2007 suite included" - does this mean Synergy + Workbench + Tag Editor + Win Align ..., as before?

3. If I went for one of the "2011 + Trados suite" ones, would it necessarily knock out my current Trados 2007, or run as a parallel programme?

Any contributions (especially by Paul Filkin) very welcome - I can't be the only one out there thinking about this.

Best,

Mervyn

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Which version? Apr 28, 2013

Hi Mervyn,

If you have Trados 2007 already, and if it is already version 8.3 at least... which it probably is if you have Studio 2009... then you really only need Studio 2011 as you will not get a newer version of Trados 2007 Suite.

You can find information of what's in each version here:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=2595&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Regards

Paul

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Huge price difference? Apr 29, 2013

Thanks a lot, Paul.

I think the "Professional" edition with no Trados suite would be best.

However, I could have sworn the price was somewhere between 800 and 1,000 euros when I last looked, but today Studio 2011 Professional costs almost 2,900. Have I missed something?

Mervyn

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... my mistake? Apr 29, 2013

Actually, I now see that SDL Studio 2011 Freelance Plus is priced at 875 euros, with two activations and no Trados 2007. That seems to be more reasonable. Forget the Full Monty version - how much more useful can it be at over 3 times the basic price?

Best,

Mervyn

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Price Differences... Apr 29, 2013

Hi Mervyn,

The Professional Edition was always in this region. There are deals from time to time as you probably know but the list price is generally the same.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't decide whether to buy Studio 2011, or which version

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search