What can I delete?
Thread poster: matt robinson

matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:37
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Apr 29, 2013

This may seem like a daft question, but what can I get rid of/what must I keep in order that my TMs continue to function? I may need to create some space on my HD, and I have a lot of old files generated in Studio 2009; project files, sdlxliff, etc. Are there any dependencies I should bear in mind?

TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Projects not related to TMs Apr 29, 2013

TMs are totally independent of projects.

So you can delete old projects provided you are sure that you have the associated TM in a separate folder.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I haven't created projects, as such. Apr 29, 2013

Thanks for the reply, Mark. I have only ever opened individual documents, translated them using Trados, and then saved the target. I know this may not be efficient, but I am of the old school, eggs in basket mentality. I think you are saying that nothing essential will be in the project file (created for the individual document) or the sdlxliff. So can I get rid, then?

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Trados 2009 Apr 29, 2013

Yes, that is what I am saying. I have moved on to Studio 2011 and my brain seems to have deleted anything to do with previous versions of Trados (except of course Trados 2007 and TagEditor which I will probably still be able to recall on my deathbed).
In any case, just be sure that you have a good system for categorizing/storing/backing up your TMs.

It's coming back to me know that TMs in 2009 were folders containing 5 files.
It's simpler in 2011, where it is just one file.

But space on your HD should not really be issue. If you need to save old projects just get an external HD and copy them on to that, or use an online facility.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
HD issue Apr 29, 2013

It's not a problem of space, as such. I'm running Trados 2009 in a Virtual Box running windows, and I don't want to dedicate extra hardware ( I want to keep it totally isolated from my main Linux environment) or more system resources to the VM. You are right that I could use an external HD and the shared folder, and that could probably put off the problem for ever.

Would you say 2011 is a much better product? I am, in general, a very late adopter of everything.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
That was Trados 2007 and earlier... Apr 29, 2013

Mark Nathan wrote:

It's coming back to me know that TMs in 2009 were folders containing 5 files.
It's simpler in 2011, where it is just one file.

Hi Nathan,

It was indeed a long tome ago already, but Studio 2009 was also a single file for a TM. The SDLTM in 2009 and 2011 is virtually unchanged.

Maybe you were thinking about the Project Folder thta was generated with Studio 2009 Projects... you don't get this anymore with Studio 2011.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What can I delete?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search