TM maintenance: When changing field settings, Question dialog ignores 'No'
Thread poster: Inesjnha

Inesjnha
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:14
English to Portuguese
May 1, 2013

Hi everyone,

Saw this problem today in Trados Studio 2011 and was wondering if anyone else had it/heard of it/discussed it?

I had a TM with a field (Text type) and corresponding values. I wanted to change the field type to List, but after changing it (right-click on TM > Settings > Fields and Settings > change type of an existing field > click OK), I got the message below:

---------------------------
Question
You are about to apply field settings changes that may result in data loss. Refer to the warnings for more information. Do you wish to continue?

Click ‘Yes’ to continue saving the changes or ‘No’ to go back to editing the field settings.
Yes No

I clicked No (as I didn't want to risk my existing values). The dialog closed, the Translation Memory Settings windows closed... and the change was saved (with the resulting data loss I had been warned of). Not a major deal in this TM, but still a bit unexpected.

I'd be grateful for any more information on this!

Thanks,
Ines

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:14
English
It means... May 3, 2013

... that if you change the values of the fields you already have then you will lose these values (you won't lose the TUs) when you change them. So this for example:

Would become this when I change the type from text to list:

Depending on how many different field values you have (how many are there) you could first add a new field with your list values in TM maintenance and then use the batch edit facility by creating a filter in TM Maintenance to look for the field values you have now and then add the new field value to each one. So you would do each one until they were all complete (hence the reason I asked how many do you have) and then just delete the original text field.

A little laborious... so you could also export your TM to TMX and then search and replace this (if you have a decent text editor you could probably do them all in one go using regex... but care is needed depending on what else you have in the TMX... so if you have fields you wish to remain as text you would not do these all in one go):

<prop type="x-ProZ_SingleString:SingleString">Value #1</prop>

for this

<prop type="x-ProZ:SinglePicklist">Value #1</prop>

(Value #1 represents one of your text values)

Once you have done this you create a new TM with the field values and list you want and then import the TMX.

If you're completely lost reading this I can take a look at your TM for you and maybe I can help?

Regards

Palu

Inesjnha
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:14
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 9, 2013

Hi Palu,

Thanks for your suggestion of batch editing the field to the new values -- I will keep this in mind for any future similar situation.

My main surprise when I tried the procedure for the first time was that clicking No still saved my changes -- when I expected to be taken back to where my changes were so I could revert them... As I said, no harm done, I tried it in a small backup TM. And now I know that I should be careful with this feature.

Many thanks again!

Ines

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM maintenance: When changing field settings, Question dialog ignores 'No'

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search