Powerpoint formatting issues with Studio 2011
Thread poster: Conor Murphy

Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:31
Member (2010)
German to English
May 2, 2013

Apologies if this issue has been raised elsewhere.

I occasionally translate PowerPoint presentations using Studio. (Studio 2011 now seems to be able to handle these).

However following the translation I notice that some (nearly all) of the graphics have been changed (arrows made larger and boxes made smaller in this current case) and the text layout (e.g. line spacing) has also been modified.

Am I missing something? Should I be making changes to Settings to stop this occurring.

While Studio is indeed extremely useful, it is very time-consuming to have to go back through the PPT slide by slide and rectify the layout.

Any ideas anyone?

Tony M
France
Local time: 09:31
French to English
+ ...
Just one thought May 2, 2013

I know nothing whatever about using Studio with PPTs, but even editing PPTs manually, I have noticed this sort of 'shifting sands' behaviour, and eventually discovered it was due to the fact that there is some kind of 'autosize' option to fit text in boxes; basically, it seems to make the font as big as possible within the given box. Naturally, if my translation is shorter than the original, it changes the size, which sometimes screws up other things as well.

I don't know if this is all that is happening in your case, or whether there is perhaps some more complex interaction going on; however, it might at least be worth trying to find this setting and turn it off before starting a test translation to see if that affects the problem at all?

Another point: I use Wordfast, which si fine for my needs, but does have the understandable shortcoming that it applies the formatting at the beginning of the segment to the whole of the rest of the segment; now if people use font or attribute changes within a segment, these will get messed up. This often cuases huge problems if someone has, e.g. created a bulleted list using characters from Wingdings (which font then gets applied to the rest of the segment!) Likewise, if someone has set the initial letter or bullet to a bigger point size, this can get carried along through the rest of the segment.

I don't know how Studio works, but this might also be a point worth looking at.

[Edited at 2013-05-02 08:20 GMT]

Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:31
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Moving this topic to "SDL Trados support" forum May 2, 2013

Thanks for replying Tony M.

I'll have to investigate any autosize or preconfigured settings after this particular (now urgent) job is complete.

By moving it to the aforementioned forum, maybe some SDL experts might get on board.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powerpoint formatting issues with Studio 2011

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search