Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 2, 2013

G'day everyone

Today a client sent me an SDLXLIFF file in which some segments already have translations and they are marked "Translated". Fortunately no fuzzy matches were inserted anywhere. I have Trados 2009 but I don't want to do the translation inside Trados.

How can I extract all of the non-translated segments, so that I can translate it in another tool, so that I can create a TMX, which I can then import into Trados again, to translate the file?

Alternatively, is there a way in which I can extract the translated segments only, and then extract the non-translated segments (or all segments), so that I can translate the SDLXLIFF file in plain text with it?

Thanks
Samuel

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Simple solution is ... May 2, 2013

... to us ethe SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter. I guess whatever you intend to use for translating can handle a TTX or a Bilingual Doc? In this case you just export the SDLXLIFF using the filter in the Legacy Converter to not export the translated segments.... although you could just as easily take them all for context... translate elsewhere and then use the Legacy Converter to import back into Studio again.

Regards

Paul

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Paul May 3, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
Simple solution is ... to us ethe SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter. I guess whatever you intend to use for translating can handle a TTX or a Bilingual Doc?

Unfortunately I have Trados 2009, not 2011, so I can't use the converter.

I actually did the translation by translating the SDLXLIFF file itself in Wordfast Classic, using an XML tagger, but that is besides the point -- all I wanted was an extraction of the untranslated segments so that I could preprocess them (e.g. extract frequent words, analyse them against some old TMs not currently in Trados format, etc.) before I started doing the actual translation.

I eventually was able to get it by simply doing a subtract operation (i.e. extract the previously translated segments from the original file, then extract all segments from a source-copied-to-target file, and finally subtract the one's result from the other)... but I was hoping for even something quicker.

I should perhaps have mentioned that extracting all segments blindly (outside of Trados) is no problem for me, but the SDLXLIFF format is sufficiently complex that extracting only selected segments from outside of Trados is not trivial (and I haven't written an extractor for it yet).

Thanks anyway.

Samuel

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
There is... May 3, 2013

... a version for 2009.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009: Extract untranslated segments for later import

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search