Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 3, 2013

G'day everyone

I'm a non-user of Trados, but I do have Trados. A client for whom I did a job in SDLXLIFF now tells me that he would like to have a TM with just the SDLXLIFF file's segments in it. This is a new request that he didn't warn me about before I started the translation, so now I have only the SDLXLIFF file and nothing else. So, I figure that I must create a blank TM and then clean up the SDLXLIFF file against it. Right?

What is the simplest, easiest, cleanest way to create a TM for the SDLXLIFF file? If I just open the SDLXLIFF file in Trados, I can't seem to create a TM for it. I can create a new project (presumably with accompanying TM), but then for some reason the file that is open in Trados does not become part of that project. I'm confused.

I imagine that there must be a correct sequence of steps to make this work. Does anyone know of a tutorial of video or something that shows how to do this simple thing?

Thanks
Samuel

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, import the file to the TM, apparently... May 3, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
What is the simplest, easiest, cleanest way to create a TM for the SDLXLIFF file?

A search in the forums yields the option to create a blank TM and then import the SDXLIFF file into it. And I must create a new TM using the "New Translation Memory" button at the top of the Home screen specifically.

But... not all the segments in the SDLXLIFF file are marked as translated. Some have a status of "Not translated". Even if I select to include "Draft" segments in the import, those segments are not imported into the TM. So... I guess I must figure out how to change all segments' status to "Translated". Selecting all the segments and using the right-click option doesn't work for me. I'd prefer to do this from within Trados -- is there a way?

Thanks
Samuel

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Filter May 3, 2013

Hi Samuel,

I think you have two options:

1) Filter by Unconfirmed -> View Toolbars -> Display Filter this should only display unconfirmed segments -> confirm them

2) Or go to the left column with the segment numbers (1, 2, etc.), hold down the Ctrl key and select the whole lot - do not click the source or target fields only the column with the segment numbers - selects both source and target, then right-click and Change Segment Status to Translated.

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-05-03 18:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-03 18:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-03 18:39 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You can do this in Studio... May 3, 2013

... but for you the easiest solution is sdlxliff2tmx... an openexchange app.. also available for 2009.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009: Simplest way to create TM and clean a file against it

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search