Commas, points, colons, semicolons, numbers in Studio 2011
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:16
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 4, 2013

Apparently Studio is supposed to automatically replace the dot with a comma and the comma with a dot etc. in numbers. All it does when I translate from German into Dutch is replace the dot with a colon - sometimes. It's quite annoying. Any idea how I can turn off all 'help' from Studio in this regard? You just can't trust a machine with that kind of thing.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:16
English
What's the number format? May 4, 2013

Hi Marinus,

If I do this I see this:

So this works because the entire number has a blue line under it and the line is unbroken. If the line is broken then this means that the information Studio uses to recognise the number does not match the format for German in your source. Studio uses these:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb896001.aspx

If they are number only segments then it may be better to use the display filter to copy all of them across to target and then use search and replace (if necessary) to correct the formatting as needed. If the source should be the same as the target, which I guess is likely for German to Dutch then just lock these segments, no need to even copy source to target.

If you still need to, turning it off can be achieved by unchecking "Recognize numbers" on the Translation Memory Settings under "Fields and Settings". You may need to activate a different project that does not use this TM and then come back to this Project again before this takes effect... just a couple of clicks.

Regards

Paul

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:16
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks.. May 5, 2013

..for your quick reply. I'll experiment around with your suggestions and see what works best in this project. You start to depend on the program to do this things for you. When then they don't work, errors creep in.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Commas, points, colons, semicolons, numbers in Studio 2011

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search