Re-arranging the picklists alphabetically... is it possible?
Thread poster: Vladimir Pochinov

Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:42
Member (2002)
English to Russian
May 4, 2013

The question refers to SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance/Professional (although, as I understand, it is applicable to older versions as well).

Is there any way to arrange alphabetically the options in the picklists created using Translation Memory Settings->Fields and Settings?

It would be much easier to choose an option from such picklists (e.g. client name) if the latter were automatically re-arranged alphabetically after I have added a new option. Currently the options in my picklists are kept in chronological order (the oldest one staying on top), which makes looking for a necessary option quite a hassle when a picklist contains 30-50 etnries.

Thank you in advance for any assistance with or advice on this issue.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Not possible... May 4, 2013

Hi Vladimir,

This is not possible as far as I'm aware... and I could not think of a good workaround either. There is no sort facility on the list only a slide bar to quickly move up and down.

Regards

Paul

yllea
Local time: 03:42
English to Estonian
+ ...
Is SDL considering creating this option? May 6, 2013

Hello!
I agree with Vladimir. It is indeed a pain to find values in picklists in Studio 2011. Is SDL at least considering changing it and offering the possibility in the future?
Regards,
Ülle

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
If everything fails, use a text editor... May 6, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

This is not possible as far as I'm aware... and I could not think of a good workaround either.

It's simple ;P

Export as TMX.
In the header (very first lines), you'll have someting like:
<prop type="x-MyPicklist:SinglePicklist">ccc,aaa,xxx,yyy</prop>
Edit the portions ccc,aaa,xxx,yyy as you like.
Create a new SDLTM and import your text file.

It's not really a clean solution but it works.
Probably you should copy the portion ccc,aaa,xxx,yyy to a text file, replace commas by EOL, then edit/sort in Excel, especially if your list is very long.

Cheers
GG

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Nice workaround... May 6, 2013

... I didn't even think of this. For some reason my immediate reaction to this would have been that unused field values would not be in the TMX but they are. Will commit to memory for a future question.

Thanks

Paul

Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2002)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Nice workaround, indeed. This really answers my question. May 6, 2013

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Export as TMX.
In the header (very first lines), you'll have someting like:
ccc,aaa,xxx,yyy
Edit the portions ccc,aaa,xxx,yyy as you like.
Create a new SDLTM and import your text file.

Thanks a lot, Grzegorz. I can follow this procedure on a regular basis now, to make my interaction with SDL Trados Studio 2011 a smoother experience...icon_smile.gif

For your information, now that the problem is solved, I have a field in one of my client-specific TMs with about 30 in-house project names for new computer models this client is offering on the market (and the list is steadily growing). Re-arranged alphabetically each two or three months, it would be much easier to use. Likewise, I have TMs with names of various industries in one of the picklists (understandably, the number of entries in this picklist is quite substantial).

Thanks again, and good luck to you!

Vladimir

[Edited at 2013-05-06 11:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Re-arranging the picklists alphabetically... is it possible?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search