Thread poster: svidyaj

svidyaj
India
Local time: 19:11
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 4, 2013

Hello Everyone,

It is the same question asked again in this forum.
I was hoping that the 2011 version would fix this problem.

I am currently using the SDL Trados 2011 and it is displaying the name taken from the OS (Which is my husband's name).
It becomes a bit confusing when it shows up in the comments added to the target translation.

Isn't there any alternative?
The User's option in the File>Setup>User is of no help.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2013-05-04 13:30 GMT]

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:41
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Sorry, misread your question May 4, 2013

Edited: I apologize. I misread your question, therefore my answer is irrelevant.

[Edited at 2013-05-04 13:47 GMT]

merinber
Germany
Local time: 15:41
German to English
Changing user name May 6, 2013

Hi,
I would try the following: Open your registry using Regedit and then look for the hive (node)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SDL\Studio (this may be called Studio2 as in my case).There will you find a subfolder named MachineSupport\CurrentUserId. This is where Studio gets its info.
You can edit the name there.

You may have to delete/rename the unwanted user name in the projects.xml file located in your standard Projects folder, since the name is also stored there.

Let me know if it works.

svidyaj
India
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changing SDL User name May 6, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I tried changing the user name as per your suggestion. It is accepting the new name in the MachineSupport\CurrentUserId.
But, later when I try to open the SDL studio it is asking me for my user name and e-mail id the way it asks for the first time when installing it.

Even after providing the same user names it is falling back to the old name eg. with respect to the comments.
I tried several options such as changing the name in MachineSupport\CurrentUserId and restarting the computer; changing the name with SDL studio open etc.. but no change..

Did I miss any step?

[Edited at 2013-05-06 17:52 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:41
French to Polish
+ ...
Hardcoded... May 6, 2013

svidyaj wrote:

I tried changing the user name as per your suggestion. It is accepting the new name in the MachineSupport\CurrentUserId.
But, later when I try to open the SDL studio it is asking me for my user name and e-mail id the way it asks for the first time when installing it.

Because it can't be done as suggested.
The internal user name is hardcoded and the MACHINE\USER schema will be always used by default.

You should create and use a different user account on your PC.
There's no other way.

Cheers
GG

svidyaj
India
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changing the SDL User name May 6, 2013

Ok, will try that.

Thank you Shai Nave, merinber & GG.
Have a nice day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing the SDL User name

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search