When converting a terms file from Excel, the Multiterm termsbase file size goes 50 times bigger!!!!
Thread poster: Ekhlas

Ekhlas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:32
Pashto (Pushto) to English
+ ...
May 7, 2013

Hi,
I have converted a glossary of terms with 5 columns (SourceLang, TargetLang1, TargetLang2, Definition, Catagory) from MS Excel into SDL Termsbase 2011 . The size of the original Excel file is 264 KB (about 4500 terms) and the output Trados Termsbase file that I get as a result of the converion is about 23.1 MB! On onather ocassion, for testing purposes I converted an excel file with only 9 terms, and the output Trados Termbase file that I got was 2.5 MBs in size.

I have tried this with the Multiterm Convert 2011 as well as the Excel Glossary converter and got the same result.

Is this is normal?! I am not a very experienced user SDL Trados, I would most appreciate your feedback on this.

Best regards,

Besmillah

Ekhlas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:32
Pashto (Pushto) to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm file size May 23, 2013

hi,
While I am still waiting to find a answer for the multiterm file size problem, I wanted to mention that th problem is still there. An existing glossary (apprx 270 KBs in Excel) becomes about 25MBs in size when converted to Multiterm termsbase.

Is this normal? Or is it that I have done something wrong? I would most appreciate your help with this.

Thank you

Solarice

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When converting a terms file from Excel, the Multiterm termsbase file size goes 50 times bigger!!!!

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search