https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/248444-word_count_differences.html

Word Count differences
Thread poster: Extra Consult
Extra Consult
Extra Consult
Belgium
Local time: 13:42
Member (2008)
English
May 7, 2013

Hi all,

I've run into a strange issue concerning word counts between Trados 2007 and Studio. We received a .docx file to translate and a colleague did the first analyses in Trados 2007. The wordcount here was 5600 words.
However, the Trados filters for Office 2007 aren't quite what they should be and we could not clean the file.

I then proceeded to create a Studio project with the source file. Wordcount here is 7900 words (2300 words difference?)
With such a
... See more
Hi all,

I've run into a strange issue concerning word counts between Trados 2007 and Studio. We received a .docx file to translate and a colleague did the first analyses in Trados 2007. The wordcount here was 5600 words.
However, the Trados filters for Office 2007 aren't quite what they should be and we could not clean the file.

I then proceeded to create a Studio project with the source file. Wordcount here is 7900 words (2300 words difference?)
With such a large file, it's nigh on impossible to manually check where the differences are.

And then, just for the heck of it, I created a project from the Trados 2007 TTX file in Studio 2009. Studio now claims there are 7900 words in the TTX. Trados 2007 insist there are 5600 words.
So now a single TTX file has a 2300 word difference between two Trados products?

Does anyone have any experience with something like this, or any idea on how to track down the difference?

Kind regards,
Geert
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
There could be many reasons for this... May 7, 2013

... maybe you could review the following article and this may help you to see where the differences may lie?

http://wp.me/p2xDjK-cK

Regards

Paul

Extra Consult
Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 7, 2013

This seems to make sense, as we have some tables with numbers in there. I looked at the analyses, and the 100% matches seem to confirm it's a thing with placeables.

Thanks Paul for the speedy reply, and the helpful link!

Geert

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word Count differences

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »