Project TM vs. Main TM what am I missing?
Thread poster: Luciana Pandolfi

Luciana Pandolfi
United States
Local time: 22:57
Member (2011)
Italian to English
May 7, 2013

Good day,

I primarily work through agencies who send me work from a handful of clients. Since there was a good degree of repetition, a CAT tool seemed like it would be worth the expense. After working with a few trial versions I settled upon SDL Trados Studio 2011. Translation work flow is much more streamlined now but I know I am not making the best use of this tool.

Since I would like to leverage my earlier translations it made sense to use an aligning tool to bring those into my project TMs. I have separate projects and TMs for each of the clients the agency sends me files from. The first step in the process was to open the existing TMs and see what they contained.

Upon doing so I realized that for a recent multi-file project (MS word 2010) for a particular client there were only 50 segments in the TM specific to that project. The project was 12 separate files of over 30K words. After looking at other TMs they all seem to stop updating at around 50-65 segments. It is obvious to me that there is a issue somewhere that I need to resolve before I move forward with augmenting my TMs with earlier work but I am not sure if the problem is a software setting or if it is the way I am using it to manage my workflow.

I have tried starting from scratch by creating a new main TM and disabling updating of the project TM in the project settings and enabling the new main TM for updating. After running the Update Main TM batch task on one random file in the project it works, but still only creates 50 segments and running the batch task on other files does not add any other segments. I am beginning to think I have a conceptual misunderstanding of a main tm vs. a project tm. I have searched through this forum and other but still can't find an answer to my principle question: why do my TMs only update 50 segments?

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:57
English to French
+ ...
Options May 7, 2013

Hi Luciana,

Tools -> Options -> Translation Memory View -> Number of TUs per page -> Set to 200 (maximum value, default is 50)

You can display the next 200 by clicking on the blue arrow (next page) in TM Editor View.

HTH,

Bernard

Luciana Pandolfi
United States
Local time: 22:57
Member (2011)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Simple solutions May 8, 2013

are always the best! Thank you very much for your pointer. Happy translating!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project TM vs. Main TM what am I missing?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search