Goldenbead  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:56
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
May 7, 2013

Hi,

I am a new user of SDL Trados Studio 2011. I used to work on Trados 2007.

I am learning it all on my own, as probably several translators. I am able to translate the file, create a file-based TM and so on. But when I want to "Create Project Package" it is greyed out where I am supposed to click and continue.

Has anyone experienced this? I watched the Youtube instructions from SDL but it works for them. What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions. (I hope I am on the right Forum)

Hannah

Direct link Reply with quote

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:26
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
You need to have received a package from your client May 7, 2013

You can only create a return package if you received a project package from a client. If not you can create the files you need under the File menu.

Hope this helps,

Olly

Goldenbead  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:56
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 7, 2013

Oh OK, I didn't know that. So the Client has to create the "Project Package"? But even then, for a trial, can't I do that myself? Isn't that possible?

Thanks for your help Olly,

Hannah

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
Don't think so May 7, 2013

No, I don't think you can create a project package, send it to yourself and then create a return package with it.

Regards,

Olly

ottovar
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados Studio Professional May 7, 2013

You need the Professional version of the software to create a package. You can't do that with the Freelance version.

Francesco

andrewkhsmith  Identity Verified
German to English
Project Packages in Studio 2011 Aug 28, 2013

VERY useful comment - I have just been searching the SDL documentation / websites for about half an hour and found NO mention of the fact that you need the professional version of the software to create a package. ;-((

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
This KB might be useful... Aug 28, 2013

... to have posted in here:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=2595&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

Thanks

Paul

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Difference between projects and packages Aug 28, 2013

andrewkhsmith wrote:

I have just been searching the SDL documentation / websites for about half an hour and found NO mention of the fact that you need the professional version of the software to create a package. ;-((

It's mentioned in the product comparison page here:
http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/

I wonder whether Hannah or other people are actually confusing "packages" and "projects".
- Projects are for setting up a translation workflow customised to your needs (this includes opening a file to translate and assigning a certain Translation Memory and Termbase to it)
- Packages are for sending projects to other people.

So packages are usually only used to connect to others in a team (including project managers at agencies, translators, reviewers, etc.). That's why package creation is the realm of the Professional version, not the freelance version.

micawber_7  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Unable to create delivery package in Trados Studio 2011 Jan 27, 2014

I work with Trados Studio 2011 (freelance edition) and I am unable to create a return package. The option is inactive (grayed out) no matter what I do.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:26
Finnish to French
SDLPPX? Jan 28, 2014

micawber_7 wrote:
I work with Trados Studio 2011 (freelance edition) and I am unable to create a return package. The option is inactive (grayed out) no matter what I do.

Did you receive a package (SDLPPX) in the first place?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to "Create Project Package" in SDL Trados 2011

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search