Thread poster: Elena Miguel

Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 7, 2013

Hello everybody,
I have translated a huge Excel file (15,000 words) with TagEditor and when I try to export the bilingual file into an Excel file my computer starts the process but is not able to finish it.
I don't get any error message, TagEditor tries to create the final Excel file but for an unknown reason cannot do it.
Do you have any suggestion?
Thank you in advance.

P.S. I have found a "shortcut" to ignore this problem, i.e., creating a separate Excel file for each column I have to translate, then translate it with TagEditor, export it into a final Excel file and then copy and paste into the huge Excel file but I am interested in knowing what's the problem and anything I can do to prevent it from happening again in the future...

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:03
German to English
Did you change worksheet names? May 7, 2013

I've run across this problem a few times when I've changed the worksheet name. I've had to change the sheet name back to the original in TagEditor, then change it again in the target document. I don't know why this happens, but it's a pain.

Also there are some "forbidden" worksheet names that relate to internal Excel commands. I've found that "History" sometimes triggers an error message when saving to target in Excel 2010.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The problem is Trados 2007 May 7, 2013

Unfortunately, my experiences for many years with the old Trados and large files or TTX files made by my customers were not very positive. It is tremendously picky and caused trouble much too often to be a trustworthy tool. TagEditor is one of the reasons I moved to memoQ. I encourage you to use more modern software, whatever it may be.

Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 8, 2013

I have not changed the name of the file and the client insists on using Trados 2007 instead of Studio 2011 or MemoQ in this particular case.
Thank you for your answers anyway!

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
What happens often in my case May 8, 2013

I run Office 2010, and when I save TTX to xls (the older format, not XLSX), a little Excel pane is displayed that informs about formatting incompatibilities asks for confirmation. The problem is that the pane is usually displayed behind other windows and you need to toggle Alt Tab to get to it. Once you click OK, the conversion is continued. I get this very often, and I hope this will solve your problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem to export ttx file into xls file

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search