Very basic Tag Editor questions with Trados 2009
Thread poster: Kurtler

Kurtler
French to English
+ ...
May 8, 2013

I’ve just had my first foray into CAT tools whilst studying and we have been instructed to use Trados and Tag Editor for some work. I’ve heard a lot about the 2007 version and the Studio version when it comes to Tag Editor, but in Studio, is it basically when coloured tags surround the words to ensure the target text is formatted identically? Am I right in thinking it was a separate application in the 2007 version but that it is now incorporated in the 2009 version? When asked to use Tag Editor, is it just to ensure you format the target file correctly, or is there another reason which benefits the client?
I know this may seem incredibly basic, but I’m new to CAT tools and I’m fairly clueless!
Thanks for your help : )

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:07
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Some answers May 8, 2013

Tag Editor is simply the name of a program that comes with Trados Suite 2007. The file format it uses is TTX. That means any file (.doc, ppt, etc.) is converted to TTX so that you can work with it in Tag Editor.

Studio 2009 and 2011 can open and translate TTX files in the Editor window, like any other file type.

When you use Tag Editor you see tags (for formatting, paragraphs, etc.) instead of the actual bold itself.

When you use Studio you can choose whether to see the tags or the formatting, or both.

HTH,
Emma

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not quite compatible May 8, 2013

SDL Studio is more like SDLX than old Trados 2007. Though you can translate ttx in both but the segmentation differs and certain tags which are visible in Trados are not present in Studio. Trados used to convert Word-files internally to rtf, but Studio does not.

Kurtler
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tags not appearing with XML file May 8, 2013

Thanks Emma and Heinrich, both responses are really helpful.
The file is XML but when I load it, no tags appear whereas they do when I load a Word doc. Is this common? Do either of you know how to resolve this matter?

Thanks again,
Kurt.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:07
English
Perhaps there is nothing to resolve? May 8, 2013

Hi Kurt,

Whether you see tags or not depends on how the XML file has been put together. If none of them are inline then you won't see any because Studio will move them outside of the editing environment as you don't need to worry about them at all.

But generally you need a filetype for the XML that has been prepared specifically to ensure that you handle the file and extract the right information for translation. There is a default XML filetype but this might not be right for the file you have.

You mentioned in your other post that TagEditor would not handle the file. In TagEditor the equivalent to a Studio filetype would be the ini file and this also needs to be prepared to fit the XML file you have been provided.

If your customer has asked for the work to be done in TagEditor then they should either provide you with an ini file or prepare the XML as a TTX for you. Once you have the TTX you can easily handle this in Studio too.

Regards

Paul

Kurtler
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, .ini files sent with .XML files May 9, 2013

Hi Paul,

I have been sent .ini files too... How would I go about preparing the XML files at TTX with this in mind?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
Kurt.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very basic Tag Editor questions with Trados 2009

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search