Is there an alternative to Trados Tag Editor?
Thread poster: Kurtler

Kurtler
French to English
+ ...
May 8, 2013

I've received an XML file to translate using Trados and Tag Editor, or with a similar tool that can still process the file. I'm using Trados 2009 and Tag Editor doesn't seem to be working with the XML file, so is there an alternative to Tag Editor that I could download, which would be compatible with Trados Studio?

Thanks in advance!

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:13
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ May 8, 2013

Hi Kurtler,

memoQ is quite happy with TTX files. What format is your file? Since you already have TagEdito, all you need to be able to do is pre-segment the file in TagEdito before importing it into memoQ to ensure comparability.

Have a look here:

http://kilgray.com/faq/ive-been-sent-ttx-file-tageditor-will-i-be-able-translate-it-using-memoq

'If you want to work with file formats supported by SDL Trados but not supported by memoQ, you can do that through TagEditor's native format, TTX. However, to enable SDL Trados to export the file back to the original format you have to pre-segment the file and work on an already segmented TTX file.'

memoQ has a 30-day fully functional trial version.

Michael

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:13
English
No I don't think there is... May 8, 2013

Kurtler wrote:
I've received an XML file to translate using Trados and Tag Editor, or with a similar tool that can still process the file. I'm using Trados 2009 and Tag Editor doesn't seem to be working with the XML file, so is there an alternative to Tag Editor that I could download, which would be compatible with Trados Studio?

Hi Kurtler,

If you can't handle the XML in TagEditor yet then memoQ won't help as this cannot create the fully segmented TTX you need in the first place.

Has your customer also given you an ini file for the XML?

Regards

Paul

Kurtler
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have been sent .ini files with the project. May 8, 2013

Yes, I have been sent .ini files with the project. What would I need to do with them? I'm sorry, CAT tools are very new to me, baptism of fire springs to mind!

Thanks, Kurt.

István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Do you need TTX or just the XML translated? May 13, 2013

Hi Kurtler,

I see that you wrote

"I've received an XML file to translate using Trados and Tag Editor, or with a similar tool that can still process the file."

It is very likely that you can process the XML file in memoQ. You can set up a filter configuration as shown here (this is the equivalent of the INI file):

http://kilgray.com/resource-center/training-videos/xml-configuration-memoq

You can process an unsegmented TTX as well using Import with options in memoQ, but honestly I would not really go through TTX if you have problems processing the XML in Trados 2007.

So if your goal is the translation, go ahead with memoQ, if your goal is complete compatibility with Trados 2007, if Trados 2007 cannot handle it at the moment, you need to find a way to handle it in Trados 2007 and get a TTX, because although you can go through memoQ, your customer will not be able to process an update of it in Trados 2007.

István

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Alternatively... May 13, 2013

... you can use Studio 2009 as you already have it!

Biyt to answer your question on how to use the ini... I thought someone might help with that one, so apologies for the delay.

In Trados 2007:
You open TagEditor, click on Tools -> Tag Settings -> Open and then select the ini and click on ok. Then when you open the XML file it will be converted to a TTX using the tag settings in the ini file from your customer.

In Studio 2009:
You open Studio and then go to Tools -> Options -> Filetypes -> New -> XML. Then follow the wizard and when asked whether you want to create an XML filetype based on the default settings or you wish to define it based on an ini, anl, xml, xsd or its rule file: choose the latter and browse for your ini. Then just click through and you are ready to go.

But keep in mind that if you create the TTX from the ini in TagEditor that you will be preparing the file exactly as required by your customer. If you create a filetype in Studio 2009 then you will be enjoying a better experience but you will not be translating the file prepared in a way your client has asked... unless they are only interested in the final XML and not the TTX.

You can of course translate the TTX in Trados 2007 or Studio 2009.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there an alternative to Trados Tag Editor?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search