Thread poster: Hans Näslund

Hans Näslund
Sweden
Local time: 02:09
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 10, 2013

The last few days, I have been getting a Java warning each time I started Studio 2011, telling me that my Java version was insecure. I followed the request to update but nothing happened.

But today, when I wanted to add a term to MultiTerm from inside Studio, I got a direct link for downloading the latest Java version (7.0.210.11). I did so, but after that I got te error message that "the security settings have stopped the application". I then lowered the Java scurity settings to "Medium".

After that, I'm no longer getting the error message - but it is now totally impossible to add terms to MultiTerm from inside Studio.

What can I do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:09
Member (2008)
French to English
Java install May 10, 2013

Hi
What I did was:
1. Close Studio and other programs.
2. Start - Control Panel - Java - About
3. Go to Java web site and download latest version for your OS, say to your
desktop or a suitable folder.
4. Start - Control Panel - Programs and Features.
5. Find Java and uninstall your current version.
6. Now run the set up manager for the new version.
7. When complete, go back to Control Panel - Java and you should find the slider
on the Security Tab. Set it to Medium and Apply.
8. Now, when in Studio, the first time you try to add a term, you PC will ask if
you want the action to be executed; there will also be a tickbox to prevent this
reminder being asked again for this application.

Maybe you have inadvertently ticked or selected an option to disallow this action in future, so reinstalling Java may be the best solution.

Rgds, Simon

Roberto Lombino  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Java and studio Jul 25, 2013

Hello,

1. the tickbox doesn´t work, or if I check it, each time appears when I want to add a new term. Any Ideas?

2. I cannot play with java, as I have other apllication that use java, so the uninstallation could casuse sever problems. I solved before this matter installing the prevoius version of java, and leaving all two java version installed, but now, against my wilst, it has been substituted with a unique one.
there should be also a direct link from support studio, where they try to suggest more solutions.
best regards

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Same problem, different warning Jul 25, 2013

I also have Studio 2011 and Jave 7.25 and Windows 8. The first time I tried to enter a new term an pop-up box appeared saying something about a slow script and if I wanted to stop it running. I've tried both the "yes" and "no" options but to no effect. Now I don't even get a warning.

The Java Control Panel is set with security on "medium" but I have noticed there is no longer the "custom" or "low" option available. The Control Panel itself is also very difficult to find, it won't open using the search function, I have to search through the Java folder on my computer for the "javacpl" file.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Think I've found the problem. Jul 25, 2013

I think the problem in my case was that the previous version of Java was a 64-bit version but the update was only available as a 32-bit version. After removing the 64-bit version and downloading the latest 32-bit version the problem seems to have been sorted.

This whole Java/Trados issue is incredibly annoying. Everytime there is an update or whatever Java stops working. I've just lost a whole morning fiddling around with this. Well, I hope at least it can help somebody else.

Florian Betz
Germany
English to German
+ ...
possible workaround Nov 22, 2013

Hans Näslund wrote:

The last few days, I have been getting a Java warning each time I started Studio 2011, telling me that my Java version was insecure. I followed the request to update but nothing happened.

But today, when I wanted to add a term to MultiTerm from inside Studio, I got a direct link for downloading the latest Java version (7.0.210.11). I did so, but after that I got te error message that "the security settings have stopped the application". I then lowered the Java scurity settings to "Medium".

After that, I'm no longer getting the error message - but it is now totally impossible to add terms to MultiTerm from inside Studio.

What can I do?

I'm experiencing similar issues. This kb article seems to apply:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=4956&source=article&c=12&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4956

I don't really have the time or the inclination to fix Oracle/SDL problems, so I won't be trying those suggested workarounds myself just now. (Happily, the malfunctioning program features are not vital to my work at this time).

Still, maybe others will benefit, hence this post.
Good luck!

Alex Aruj  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Installing jre from multiterm package then java offline install, then set java security to medium Sep 12, 2014

This may be the best way, for now, to ensure you have latest java and still add terms to multiterm via trados:

My system Windows 8.1, Multiterm 2011 SP2

Run windows installer package file: "jreX.Y.Z_AB" from this path
C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\SDL\SDLMultiTerm2011SP2\modules

Download java for offline installation
http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_offline.jsp

Going into the Java Control Panel and changing security setting to Medium, then starting up Trados again, I was aksed if I wanted to allow the SDL website control of java. I clicked yes (twice for two pop-ups/same message), and term addition from Trados became possible.

My original question to SDL was about a missing permissions manifest and I hope that by creating such a permission for us multiterm users, the problem can be resolved. I will follow-up if possible. My message to SDL:

through the SDL Javacleanup file I got Java 8 Update 20 and am with the error message "Application blocked by java Security"

"blocked due to missing permissions manifest in the jar file"

Could you please suggest a solution without having me revert to earlier Java.

My version of Multiterm 2011 SP2.

[Modifié le 2014-09-12 19:10 GMT]

[Modifié le 2014-09-12 19:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Java problem in Studio 2011/MultiTerm

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search