Thread poster: Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:42
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
May 12, 2013

Dear Colleagues,

When working on a translation memory in SDL Trados Studio 2011, is there a way to quickly open a certain page, say the page containing translation units from 8000 to 8200, except for turning over the pages one by one until I reach it? This seems to be a simple operation but I can't find how to do it. I see only three options - go to first page, previous page, and next page.

Thank you for your help.

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:42
English to French
+ ...
View May 12, 2013

Hi Henrik,

The only other way I can think of is to go to View -> Search details and enter a string you're looking for and/or create a filter like last modified on, etc.

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-05-12 15:49 GMT]

Henrik Pipoyan
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Bernard. May 12, 2013

Yes, it's a way to find a particular TU or those that were modified at a certain time, but still it doesn't open the page where the unit is. I think, just three simple controls for navigating huge TMs is not what a professional CAT tool should offer.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:42
English
Agreed, although... May 12, 2013

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

Yes, it's a way to find a particular TU or those that were modified at a certain time, but still it doesn't open the page where the unit is. I think, just three simple controls for navigating huge TMs is not what a professional CAT tool should offer.

... TM maintenance is almost a separate subject which is why so many applications popped up for this purpose. But I'm with you and would also like to see a few improvements to the features Studio already offers which are considerable compared to Trados days.

Just for interest you might find SDLTmConvert useful. This is an SDL OpenExchange application that allows you to convert an SDLTM to many different formats. One of these is XLIFF which means you can open the TM in Studio and use Studio QA features, and navigation mechanisms, to work on it and make your corrections. If you create a Project with the XLIFF files and set your actual TM to NOT UPDATE then you can find the segments you want and make the changes in the TM Results window so you don't lose any of the hidden attributes based on the text in the documents you actually translated in the first place.

You can also create XLIFF files for segments 8000 - 8200 if you like and then just work on that file, correcting the TM hits you get in the TM Results window which will be relevant as they are the same thing. There is an article on this here that you might find useful : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-mq

Regards

Paul

Henrik Pipoyan
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Paul May 13, 2013

I tried SDLTmConvert, it's really a very useful tool. I was trying the same with Olifant, and when converting the TM, it stopped on half-way. This is why I needed to navigate to TU # 8000 in Studio, to see what the problem was. If the last TU that Olifant converted was 7999, than the problem would be in TU # 8000, and there's no other way opening it but to turn over the pages one by one. Now I tried converting the TM with SDLTmConvert, and Id didn't encounter any problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quickly Navigating a TM in SDL Trados Studio 2011

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »