Thread poster: Sp and Fr to En

Sp and Fr to En  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:47
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
May 13, 2013

My (personal) reference translation memories and termbases are French-English (UK). The client sends me a package with the settings French-English (US). It would appear that it is perfectly possible to get the software to insert British terms from my French-English (UK) termbase, and yet I can't add my own FR-EN (UK) translation memory (without fiddling around with text editors which would change the UK labels to US). Is this a design flaw, or am I missing something?

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:47
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Some suggestions May 13, 2013

The most obvious one is to contact your agency client and ask them to create the package with different language settings, but I can see how this could be a problem to achieve in practice.

Although I'm not sure that it'll work, you might want to export the content of the relevant TM(s) to TMX, create a new TM(s) with the "correct" language settings (EN_US in this case) and then import the TMX into it. If I recall correctly in the TM import menu you can choose to exclude language variants.
Another option might be to open your TM(s) in Studio's Translation Memories view (lower left hand of the screen) and choose the "New translation Memory from...". In the Wizard that will be displayed you might be able to change the language settings for the TM.

Thomas Deschington
Poland
Local time: 21:47
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Exceedingly irrititating ... May 13, 2013

I think what I did last time was to create a new TM and then use the option to create it based on another TM with different English settings.

Sp and Fr to En  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:47
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 13, 2013

Hi Shai and Thomas,
Thanks for responding.
It's not really a problem, I was just wondering why on earth they would design it like that, especially since there is no such issue with the termbase.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
The reason ... May 14, 2013

... is because the Translation Memory uses automated substitutions based on the specific language flavour. A simple example, today is the 14/05/2013... or is it the 05/14/2013?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb896001.aspx

So unless you specify the specific flavour Studio doesn't know which substitution to use. However, you can workaround this with a very useful OpenExchange application called AnyTM that allows you to add any languages you like to your project, but as reference memories only. This means that if you create templates containing memories for each set of language pairs you are likely to work in you can choose the specific template when you create your project and never have this problem again.

There is an article that explains this idea better here : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-lu

Regards

Paul

Fabio Gutiérrez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
German to Spanish
+ ...
A couple of additional solutions May 14, 2013

The situation you describe is a common place. And there are reasons for and against of being so. But let's focus on some of the available solutions:

A first one is to create an en-US TM and import there all of your existing en-UK sdlxliff stuff. Then, you will be able to use your new TM both as a reference and to write on it.

Another one is to use Notepad++ to change the target locale. Please check
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/245489-managing_us_en_tm_and_uk_en_ttx_in_studio_2011.html#2111275
for more info.

And the third one is to buy a small plug-in for Studio 2011 called "AnyTM". It enables you to use any TM regardless of its language variety, but only as a background reference (in other words, you cannot store your new segments on TMs opened with this plugin). More info:
http://www.codingbreeze.com/
The little money you need to invest in this plug-in purchase pays off quickly, in my opinion.

Hope it helps.

[Edited at 2013-05-14 09:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: using TMs with different English settings

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search