Merging two translation memories
Thread poster: NicoleS
NicoleS
Germany
Local time: 18:34
May 14, 2013

Hi all,

I have two translation memories – one is German – GB English , the other one is GB English – US English.
The content is not all the same, but similar.

Is there any possibility to create a TM German – US English based on the two source TM's?

I am using SDL Trados Studio 2011.

Thanks in advance for every idea,
Nicole

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:34
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Nicole, May 14, 2013

Open the German – GB English TM in a text editor. Find and replace all "en-GB" with "en-US".

Then create a German - US English TM in SDL Trados Studio 2011 and import both of your TMs.

Michael

[Edited at 2013-05-14 10:03 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Tricky.... May 14, 2013

... and if the information you provided was correct then I'm not sure the advice from Michael is helpful?

One complicated approach that might work is this.

1. Reverse both the TMs so they are the other way around. You can use SDLTmReverseLangs for this : http://goo.gl/298Ri
  2. Now convert the en(GB) - de(DE) to TMX, and change the language codes so you have en(US) - de(DE)
  3. Now convert the en(US) - en(GB) to TMX, and change the language codes so you have en(US) - de(DE)
  4. Create a new SDLTM as en(US) - de(DE) and import the amended TMX files
  5. Now use SDL TmConvert to create XLIFF files in bite sized chunks from your SDLTM : http://goo.gl/XMFQa
  6. Next create a Project in Studio containing all the XLIFF files. The language direction for the Project should be en(US) - de(DE)
  7. Now pretranslate the Project and then edit the rest as required until the project is complete. You will get matches from the en-de and you'll have to translate any en-en that didn't have a de match at all.
  8. The final updated TM will be your new TM containing en(US) source and de(DE) target. So all you do now is reverse this to get your de(DE) - en(US)

It sounds a little complicated... but I think it's straightforward if you work step by step, and have the right apps to help.

Unless of course you had a typo in the original question and Michael was correct?

Regards

Paul

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:34
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
??? May 14, 2013

NicoleS wrote:

Hi all,

I have two translation memories – one is German – GB English , the other one is GB English – US English.
The content is not all the same, but similar.

Is there any possibility to create a TM German – US English based on the two source TM's?

I am using SDL Trados Studio 2011.

Thanks in advance for every idea,
Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Can you confirm exactly which TMs you have to start with?

a de-DE/en-GB + a de-DE/en-US TM (as I assumed in my previous post), or
a de-DE/en-GB + a en-GB/en-US?

Michael

NicoleS
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, tricky... May 15, 2013

first of all, thanks for your quick replies.

My first TM contains de(de) as source language and en(gb) as target language.
Example:
synchronisieren - synchronise

My second TM contains en(gb) as source language and en(us) as target language.
Example:
synchronise - synchronize

What I need is a TM de(de) - en(us)
Example:
synchronisieren - synchronize

@Michael: I think your proposal would import both 'source' TMs into the new 'target' TM?
I don't want to have the en(gb) part in the target TM.
(Sorry, maybe 'merging' was a misleading title for my post...)

@Paul, your proposal sounds promising, but I don't understand exactly to what step 5 will lead?

Regards,
Nicole

United Kingdom
English
Step 5 May 15, 2013

NicoleS wrote:

@Paul, your proposal sounds promising, but I don't understand exactly to what step 5 will lead?

Hi Nicole,

Because, in the version I gave you, you now have a TM containing en-de and en-en, I guess you want to translate the en-en so it becomes en-de, and then once you finish you reverse the completed TM to get your de-en.

So the purpose of Step 5 is to convert the TM with all these segments in it to XLIFF files that you can now translate the contents of the TM. You can use the QA features of Studio and the normal translation process to do this. As you do it you will get matches from the en source and where the target is the same, or in en anyway, you translate to de.

Now I said, the version I gave you because on reflection there is a better way. So this instead:

1. Reverse both the TMs so they are the other way around. You can use SDLTmReverseLangs for this : http://goo.gl/298Ri
  2. Now convert the en(GB) - de(DE) to TMX, and change the language codes so you have en(US) - de(DE)
  3. Now convert the en(US) - en(GB) to TMX, and change the language codes so you have en(US) - de(DE)
  4. Create a new SDLTM as en(US) - de(DE) and import the en - de TMX file only
  5. Create a new SDLTM as en(US) - de(DE) and import the en - en TMX file only
  6. Now use SDL TmConvert to create XLIFF files in bite sized chunks from both your SDLTMs : http://goo.gl/XMFQa
  7. Next create a Project in Studio containing all the XLIFF files. The language direction for the Project should be en(US) - de(DE)
  8. Now pretranslate the Project using only the real en(US) - de(DE) and then edit the rest as required until the project is complete. You will get matches from the en-de and no matches for any of the en-en that have different source values to the en-de.
  9. The final updated TM will be your new TM containing en(US) source and de(DE) target. So all you do now is reverse this to get your de(DE) - en(US)

I hope that's clear? The first time I imported both TMX files so you would have got matches from everything which would make it harder to find the en-en you needed to change. In theory you could just convert the en-en to XLIFF if you are 100% happy with the translations in the en-de already, but doing it this way gives you an opportunity to QA the entire TM.

Regards

Paul

Marie-Genevieve
Local time: 12:34
English to French
Change the language codes Jun 11, 2013

Hi Paul,
I have a similar problem. I try to merge an EN(Ca)/FR(Ca) and an EN(US)/FR(Fr) TMs.
I can follow the steps below, but I can't figure out where (or with what tool) to change the language codes in the TMX docs.

THanks

Mg

United Kingdom
English
Merging non matching sublanguages Jun 11, 2013

Hi Marie-Genevieve,

You would just use a text editor for this. I use EditPad - www.editpadpro.com/ There is a Pro and a Lite version so if you are not a heavy user try the Lite... it's free for non-commercial use... and see if you like it first.

But you might also want to think about using the AnyTM app from the OpenExchange : http://goo.gl/1EQBm

This will allow you to add a non-matching TM as a reference only TM while you update the one that matches. This is then really useful if you set up profiles designed to allow you to work with any combination of languages you like, but always leveraging all of your TMs. There is an article on this idea here : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-lu

If you do this then you won't run into problems where you have numbers and other placeables getting added to your TM when they are not recognised due to differences in how a particular sub-language handles them (not all languages have these differences but many do).

Your problem is also lot less complicated than the one outlined above...

Regards

Paul

Marie-Genevieve
Local time: 12:34
English to French
Thank you! Jun 12, 2013

It works like a charm!
Thanks a lot Paul.

Marie-Geneviève

NicoleS
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 13, 2013

Hi Paul,

I just finished working on my new TM. It was still quite a lot manual work, but in the end I have what I need.
Thanks a lot for your quick and competent support!

Nicole

MrRimvydas  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 19:34
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
another option Apr 10, 2014

Hi,

I had a bit different but somewhat similar situation, which I managed solving, so I will be glad if someone might make use of my experience.
I also needed merging TMs with different source languages (namely, EN(us) -> LT and EN(uk)->LT).
The method of doing that proposed by SDL support seemed quite complex and time consuming, so I gave a try with MemoQ (2013), as I know this software is a bit more flexible.
All I did was exporting the EN(us) TM as a TMX file from Trados, opening any random project in MemoQ, creating a new TM, indicating EN(uk) as a source language, importing the TMX file (there was no conflict whatsoever about importing EN(us) TMX file into a new TM with source language EN(uk), which surprised me a little - I was surprised happily, surely), and having this new TM, I, again, exported it from MemoQ as a TMX, which later imported back in my Trados project TM. It works fine now, and I've spent less time doing the trick than describing all this to you, guys. It might look confusing, but I figured this method very easy and fast. I hope this will help at least some one.

Rimvydas

United Kingdom
English
Not quite the same... Apr 10, 2014

MrRimvydas wrote:

I had a bit different but somewhat similar situation, which I managed solving, so I will be glad if someone might make use of my experience.
I also needed merging TMs with different source languages (namely, EN(us) -> LT and EN(uk)->LT).
The method of doing that proposed by SDL support seemed quite complex and time consuming

Hi,

Just to avoid confusion here, if this is what was needed you can do this in Studio and you don't have to tell it anything when you import. I just imported an EN(BZ) - DE(AT) TMX file into an DE(LU) - EN(TT) and Studio just sorted this out for me automatically, ignoring the sublanguages and swapping the source with target to suit. So not too tricky.

The more complicated problem above was trying to create a DE - EN(US) from two TMs, one of which was DE - EN(GB) and the other EN(GB) - EN(US) and then enable the ability to translate the EN-EN so you had DE-EN.

You could create a new TM in memoQ with the language specifics you want, import both TMX files from the originals switching the source/target of the en-en TMX as you do this, then export the result as a TMX and finally retranslate the TMX as needed to update the TM as required.

I guess you could also do something similar to this in Studio now too as we also have a TMX filetype that we didn't have when this post was first raised. Although the original method suggested using XLIFF has it’s advantages because if the TMX is too large the tool used to generate the XLIFF files will create lots of bite sized files may well be easier to handle.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merging two translation memories

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search